StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions What you look for in a good studio

• miss fern

June 8, 2010 at 12:40 pm

Hold on, I’m confused. Why does pole sharing mean double explaining for instructors? You still address the whole class at once https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_scratch.gif

And when learning a new move how many actually retain it for the minute or so before they get on the pole themselves? Especially if you are showing hand/body placement.

Ahh now I see what you mean! Yea, I think once you hit about 10+ students, you need two instructors really, no matter how many poles you have.

• amy

June 8, 2010 at 2:12 pm

Sharing a pole works in the beginning because it is physically taxing and gives students a chance to rest. For an instructor it means double explanations.

Hold on, I’m confused. Why does pole sharing mean double explaining for instructors? You still address the whole class at once https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_scratch.gif

As an instructor for beginner to intermediates, I am a HUGE pan of pole sharing. I know many beginners may be disappointed about not having their own pole, because don’t feel they get "their money’s worth" or "enough practice time". But there is no way a beginner can sustain pole practice for one hour hour with no breaks. They usually realise this after a free taster class, anyway. And so they are happy with the class sizes from then on.

Also keep in mind that since pole dancing is such a thrill, some students don’t know when to stop and this can lead to injury if they exercise too much without suitable prior fitness level. So it makes much more sense to share poles so the student is FORCED to rest and thus avoid unnecessary injuries.

just to give a second opinion on this– i think that each student having their own pole can actually work very well. when i demo a mini-routine or trick, i have the student follow along while i break it down slowly. you can catch incorrect hand placement, body positioning, and go over the transition in and out of a trick with the students before they do it on their own! which is huge. it’s really up to the instructor to pace of the class, and intersperse floor/wall work, mini routines, strengthening, and trick work (everything on both sides of course) to break up the flow and difficulty of a class.

• miss fern

June 8, 2010 at 11:13 pm

just to give a second opinion on this– i think that each student having their own pole can actually work very well. when i demo a mini-routine or trick, i have the student follow along while i break it down slowly. you can catch incorrect hand placement, body positioning, and go over the transition in and out of a trick with the students before they do it on their own! which is huge. it’s really up to the instructor to pace of the class, and intersperse floor/wall work, mini routines, strengthening, and trick work (everything on both sides of course) to break up the flow and difficulty of a class.

Yes, that’s a good point. Students do find it a lot easier to mimic the hand placement and body position when you do it in front of them. I usually explain a move twice, completely, before letting anyone try it anyway – so I’d get my students to switch then for example.

I definitely think that one pole per student can (and does) work very well. I just disagree with the ‘culture’, I suppose you could call in, in which studios with pole sharing are looked down on by beginner polers, who insist they want their own pole to get their money’s worth. I know there’s not much we can do to change the mentality of someone who has never tried pole, but it would be nice if these people would just give it a try, and not assume they know more than the teacher when it comes to the best way to be taught pole! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_lol.gif

But yea, both pole pole sharing and having dedicated poles works, since it’s all up to instructor to make the lesson fun and worthwhile and safe with the equipment available. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_biggrin.gif

• Mary Ellyn

June 9, 2010 at 4:39 pm

In our classes we share poles unless census is low. On the nights where students get to use their own pole because someone didn’t show up or they rotate having an extra turn on that pole all through class, they get tired. Despite doing floor work and transitions in between. It really depends on the conditioning of your clientelle. I have some who can do a whole class on the pole and others who are exhausted by the end of the class.

Since group classes have to fit the "average" of the student make up, I have always found that two per pole works best. Some could handle more but some cannot.

Another advantage to two per pole is that the students also learn from watching each other. They learn a lot from watching another student’s mistakes and struggles. When we have two per pole and the second group has their turn at a new move or spin the second group always does much better than the first group because they saw their mistakes.

Mirrors: I love mirrors in the studio. I think it helps the students see their lines and flow and they can learn from it. If they don’t like mirrors they dont have to look at them. However I also feel it’s important for women to get over the self-consciousness of looking in a mirror and liking what they see.

I love when new students come and are terrified of the mirror but later you see them all using it and showing off for themselves while they watch themselves in the mirror.

• Charley

June 9, 2010 at 5:08 pm

I am a fan of 1 student per pole. We have 6 poles so class maxes out at 6 – our space is a bit tight – so more than that could get crowded. We get students from other schools often too and they complain about pole sharing.

Most of the time new students don’t stay on their pole for the whole class but I do try to lots of movement exercises and give them a lot of time on each move to ask questions and try it on both sides.

I have done 2 and 3 to a pole before and found that worked well too, the only problem was over time many students started spending more time tricking than dancing and in a large class it can be difficult to fully impart the importance of moving and using all your spaces not just your pole.

Aside from that a good studio should be able to cater to EVERYONE and a good instructor should be encouraging EVERYONE and spending extra time with those who are having a harder time.

The class should be fun and light but also safe and a good work out.

Page 2 of 2