StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Where did you start and where are you now?

• Where did you start and where are you now?

Posted by sailor on August 31, 2012 at 5:04 pm

My pole arrived yesterday!! (it is still in the box, I have a few other projects to move along before I can bust it out)

I have never poled and I'm nervous, excited, etc… I am 5'10" and 160lbs, not very flexible, and moderately strong.

I'm curious, where did you start out in your pole journey and where are you now? How long have you been poling?

Maria-Elena Kadala replied 12 years ago 21 Members · 24 Replies
  • 24 Replies
  • Dancing Paws

August 31, 2012 at 5:19 pm

I started 4 years ago not being able to lift myself. I am now entering the advanced phase of my dancing. I had about 1 year off in poling part way through my journey then got back into it when I moved. I stared out learning all spins in a studio, then moved and started learning tricks thorough the lessons here. 

• calipolepixie

August 31, 2012 at 5:32 pm

Hello welcome to poling!

I started as a fan of the art…for about 12 years I just admired it from afar wishing I could learn but back then there were no pole classes available like there are now. The only people I knew who knew how to pole dance were my friends who were exotic dancers…so yeah, I spent alot of time hanging out at strip clubs lol

Then a lil miracle happened, pole became the new fitness craze and I could finally learn! My journey started 2 1/2 years ago when I tried a trial pole class. Immediately at the end of the class, I was obsessed with pole and signed up for classes!

Of course the first year was the hardest…I poled on and off that first year often having a love hate relationship with my pole at home. I almost gave up on pole several times during the first year but I am happy that I stuck with it. The first year was full of building strength, confidence and learning to trust my body. 

Year 2 was a little better and the year of discovery– about myself as a person, about what my body was capable of and my limitations in pole and pushing beyond that to become a better poler.

Now heading into year 3 the up and down days are back (because I am now learning advanced moves that again take lots of patience and MORE strength than ever before) and developing flow, grace, fluidity, dance & floorwork are my focus as I work on becoming the best overall poler I can be.

Welcome to the wonderful journey of poling, hang on, because it's a wild ride but sooooo worth it!

• Scarlett Honey aka Lola Grace

August 31, 2012 at 6:14 pm

I started poling when I though I was reasonably fit… but I could barely lift my own weight on the pole after 30min of practice! I used to go to the gym 3/4 times a week and do a mix of cardio and weights. But I'm SO much fitter now with just pole workouts and acrobatic lessons. My legs are more toned, my core and upper body are stronger, my balance and control is MUCH better…

It took me two terms of pole classes (16 weeks) to do an inverted V whne I first began. Now I can do Inverted V's from up the pole, and I can do them repetitively. So I have definitely become fitter in 3 years of poling, even if my weight (kilo's) hasn't changed much. But I know I can get stronger – the best things about poling instead of gyming is that the journey is FUN and feels cathartic in a way…. the self-ecpression and artistry is good for the soul I think. 🙂  

SO don't be too hard on yourself to learn everything asap, it takes time and perseverence, but you will get there~! 🙂 xo

• x falcon 3 0 x

September 1, 2012 at 1:47 am

2 years and a couple months.  I started in studio, taught myself for a little bit, then went back to in studio.  Then I recently moved, so 5 of the last 6 months have been quite sporadic pole-wise, but a visit back home sparked my motivation and so I'm back to being fully addicted.

I love the user videos on here and seeing everyone's journeys.

Welcome!  Be patient, rest your muscles when you need to…and most of all, have fun!

• Runemist34

September 1, 2012 at 2:30 am

I began poling about 4 years ago, without the ability to lift myself- a Fireman spin was hard. Most of it was hard. I didn't have the confidence in my body and spirit… though I pushed myself hard.

And then, I saw a picture of someone doing a "Jade," saw a stripper (who really was more of a pole dancer, she didn't seem into the strippin' part) walk on the ceiling, and I realized… I want to do THAT!

So, I've been off-and-on with pole ever since. My longest hiatus was 8 months, which really set me back…

But, now, I can do a basic invert, I'm working on my inverted crucifix (pushing past the fear, rather than the physical inability), advanced plank, superman, inverted V, and reverse grab spin. I freestyle every time I dance, I'm starting to choreograph, and I've decided to work toward a shoulder/elbow/hand stand.

I have never been happier with how much energy I have, my spacial and self awareness, and my fitness. And, I know that I'll just get better from here!

• GolgothaTramp

September 1, 2012 at 7:25 am

I have been poling for a month and a half (feels so much longer). I came from being a out of shape, overweight ex dancer. I wasn’t able to lift my body weight and was petrified. I’ve had 6 private lessons and two group lessons and I have a pole at home (I got the bug so bad) my videos pretty much show my ability.

I have a lot to learn and build on strength, finesse and knowledge. I am feeling impatient but I try and take every sessions one at a time and take pleasure in simple improvements (longer in air, further rotation, better automatic placement) but I can’t wait for the day I am looking back and thinking “gosh remember when I couldn’t even climb the pole”.

• Empty

September 1, 2012 at 8:32 am

Hi. I'm Little Engine and I'm a pole addict.
    {{Hi Little Engine}}

My first hit was many moons ago when i saw my 1st strip performance done by a insanely beautiful women named Essence. She performed like no other and it always struck a cord in me. Not necessarily to become an exotic dancer but the performance and skill of pole-ing. But sadly there was no class dealers to be found in the area so I naturally lost interest.

Fast forward to this year and 3 months ago, I was on random new hobby search when I found pole fitness being offered at a local Yoga & Pilates Studio. I immediately signed up, met my pole pimp Lucy and I've been going to class once a week ever since.

3 months in and Level 2 later……I pole at parks, wear Alethea's hoodie and watch WAY to many pole videos on here and YouTube. I can't go a week without class or I get insanely moody. I tend to talk about it excessively and am usually riddled in bruises. I plan on getting my own pole and setting up a garage pole room come Xmas.
    Its a powerful drug man. Lol.

If I could give one piece of advise it would be prepare for the "dark cloud". Also known as bad pole days. Where nothing goes right, your body is just not working, and you end up feeling hopeless. I've had plenty. Whatever you do, DO NOT GIVE UP. That horrible cloud passes! Brush it off and try again tommorow. And take your time! No need to get all upside down and crazy. Simply enjoy the ride.

• darcit

September 1, 2012 at 9:19 am

I started 14 years ago.  I needed money for college and had a friend who was an exotic dancer. It took me about two days of watching the money she brought home to decide that was a better way of paying for college than working at McDonalds.  I was terrified!  My first night, while wating for my first turn on stage, I carefully watched what the other girls were doing  – hoping that I could get some idea of what to do up there.  One of the girls was an amazing pole dancer. She just seemed to defy gravity as she floated around the pole. I immediately decided that I wanted to do that. 

So when my turn came the first thing I did was grab the pole and fling myself around it. Hard.  Oooops.   No one had bothered to mention to me that it was a spinning pole.  It was all I could do to hang on.  As I was flying around the pole at warp speed I quickly realized that another thing no one had bothered to mention was that, if you're going to spin around a pole rapidly, shoes with ankle straps might be a good idea.  Mine did not have ankle straps.

My shoe went flying across the (very busy) bar and cleared most of a table of drinks. Once I finally got the pole stopped I got to gimp across the bar on one (6" platform) shoe and ask the men at the table for my shoe back.  I was mortified – and hooked. I knew I had to get on that pole again.  And I don't think I've gone a week without being on a pole since.

I think that for a long time, before pole became a mainstream fitness activity, I danced in clubs as much to have a pole to play on as for the money. Now I have two poles at my house and I'm teaching at a studio.  I can't pass a park without trying to flip upside down on some random piece of playground equipment.  I love that, no matter how long I've been doing this, there's no way I can ever learn everything.  There's always someone creating a new move or a new combo that I just have to try!

• lindsgotts91

September 1, 2012 at 9:44 am

Hello, my name is Lindsey, I am also a beginner, ive had my pole for about two months and i have never had lessons, im trying the self-taugh thing first… so far its going pretty good, i can do some spins and am getting better at climbing… I do feel a bit impatient… but its all good fun! I like how I can see my progression though i have a Long way to go:)

• calipolepixie

September 1, 2012 at 10:14 am

@ little engine you crack me up. lmao pole pimp i LOVE it lol

• Kyrsten

September 1, 2012 at 10:42 am

I started in August of last year as a total beginner… I really sucked at first! Like really! I was one of the worst in my class. I had such awful newbie death grip that I was literally ripping the skin off my hands every class and had to wear a bunch of bandaids to even participate. I was fairly active with some other activities, but like most of you, I couldn't pull myself up at all. Not much flexibility and 0 upper body strength.

Fast forward one year later today and I am at a pretty advanced level, have become an instructor, and just competed in my first competition last weekend (Midwest!) I have even taken steps to start making a career out of pole and my life has really fallen into place since last year… I have no idea where I'd be without it. Getting off track though…

Pole is super rewarding because there's just always something fun you can work on, whether you're a complete beginner or a pro. There are good days and bad days of course… some days you get on the pole and nail 4 tricks you've been working at forever, and some days you get on the pole and feel too utterly useless to even do a fireman spin. But you are constantly building strength, stamina, and coordination, and you will get better each practice.

One piece of advice: video yourself frequently! Whenever you doubt your progress and ability, just look at your old videos and you will be amazed at how far you've come. And don't be discouraged in the beginning, even if you completely suck. Even the most advanced dancers have been there!

• GiedreB

September 1, 2012 at 12:32 pm

I started one year ago drooling over videos on YouTube and now I am finally spinning on pole! (kinda, since I’m only beginning my third week, lol). Still can’t lift myself for more than a second, though… But I’m getting close! And that’s what matters. Progress 🙂

• CapFeb

September 1, 2012 at 1:40 pm

I am going to be late to work, but typing all of this for you (and also myself) will all be worth it. 

I started watching Felix Cane on youtube when I was 18. When I went to a bridal convention, a local studio was hosting for bachlorette parties only in their booth. I refused to let my fiance at the time pay for lessons (or anything, really) so I didn't do it. Probably one of my greater mistakes in life. 

When I turned 19 (the day I turned 19, actually) I kicked him out and broke up with him and spent six months looking for a job. Then I found a job as a waitress at a strip club, and got forced into exotic dancing. It was either "stop being a waitress and dance" or, "get the hell out of my club." It was the only source of income I had had for two and a half years, so I accepted the position, even though I didn't want to. 

I hate my job, but the one thing I can look forward to, every day no matter what, is that I can pole. I've been poleing for 6 months and am more advanced than a majority of people. I can shoulder mount, invert, aerial invert, superman, etc.  So through poleing 4/5 days of the week (for many hours with breaks between stages) I've advanced far in a short amount of time. While I hate my job more than anything in the world, poleing makes me better. 

Whenever I get upset that I can't do a move, a go through all the moves that I can do, and the ones that I can sorta do, and then I go and look at old videos where I couldn't even do a hold, or pull myself up, or not kick into an invert. Or whatever. "JUST FOCUS ON WHAT YOU DO GREAT" is honestly the best pole advice I've ever recieved :> 

• sailor

September 1, 2012 at 4:46 pm

Wow!! All of the responses, I wish I had the time and focus to respond to everyone, thank you ALL for sharing!

I am amazed that some of you have been doing it for so many years, how awesome that there is so much room to grow in poling.

I'm perfectly happy to start slow- I'm going the self taught route until I can afford the time/money to travel and take a studio lesson. Since I'm going to rely on online lessons I plan to take it easy… but we'll see what happens once I actually put the pole up!

Y'all are rock stars https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_heart1.gif

• sailor

September 1, 2012 at 11:37 pm

Now that I have more time to think about it…

It is really interesting how so many of you saw someone pole dancing and just knew right away that you had to do it. That is how I got into sailing. I knew nothing about tall ships, but one came to my town when I was 16, and once I saw everyone aloft in the rig working, climbing, setting sail, I just HAD to do it! I went to the boat that night and signed up, I was on the boat the next week.

I "met" Jag on another forum, she talked about her pole dancing there a few times, and it took actually seeing a video to understand… and it never left my mind. I watched another one a few weeks ago and said, "That's it! I have to do this!"

Page 1 of 2