StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Would this bother you??

• amy

March 9, 2012 at 10:06 am

I don't know of any circus instructor that would call themselves a fitness professional, either… hahaa 🙂

• Elektra Vallens

March 9, 2012 at 10:28 am

I've been doing aerials for years, and I agree with all the posters: don't let anyone, even a teacher, push you into a stretch without lots of communication, and tell them to stop right away if it's cauing you pain!  I learned this the hard way.

I also agree with Amy's post about circus culture and training attitudes.  Aerialists usually know a fair bit about anatomy, but they're not doctors, and there is a pervasive attitude of "if you can do it, it's OK."

The best way to take aerial classes and avoid injury is to listen to your body, educate yourself as best you can (it's your best preventative weapon), and if you still have doubts about a move, don't do it until you ask a doctor. 

• Mary Ellyn

March 9, 2012 at 10:30 am

I think the biggest concern here…and there are many which are very important like the permission, knowing someone's body, etc….is does this person truly KNOW what they are doing to be guiding you in this manner.

Both of these techniques have the potential to injure you…but both can be done by professionals who KNOW your body well, having taken a medical history on you AND have been trained in how to do these things correctly!

Definitely let her know that you are not comfortable with this and would like an alternate exercise as you don't want her or other students physically assisting you during warm up and stretching.

• Dancing Paws

March 9, 2012 at 12:13 pm

I'm not sure if she knws what she's doing. She graduated from circus school and had to a lot of flexibility training for herself, but I have know idea how that translates into her knowledge of it. I can honeslty say that I don't feel like I need to be pressed further in my stretching My hips are tight, so in addition to the inner leg stretch in a V, my hips start screaming on the outside of my hips (and I am currently in PT for snapping hips.)

• Black Orchid

March 10, 2012 at 12:35 am

I agree with Amy, having done silks & hoop for a while. Circus folk do have some very different and strongly held theories about pain & pushing yourself. If you're not comfortable, then this might not be the right class or instructor for you, esp. if your instructor can't reasonably address your concerns.

Page 2 of 2