StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Wrist Sit Issues

• Wrist Sit Issues

Posted by Runemist34 on May 16, 2011 at 12:37 am

Hey ladies!

So, I'm having problems with my wrist sit…I feel like it's next in line for me, and I try it EVERY time, and can't seem to get it!

I AM aware of the correct hand position 😉 "Stick your thumb up your bum" I believe I read, and I've been doing it as close as I can! I also try to make sure I'm as un-slippery as possible, and generally I can hold on when I'm doing my climb, so I can't imagine I wouldn't be able to hold on when I'm doing the sit.

However, when I let my legs go, I just…kind of flail around, my hand might slip slightly, and I just…abort! I don't feel very safe sitting on my arm.

So, I'm curious…is there something else I should also be focusing on? Is there anything else I can do to give myself more confidence (besides the pillows I normally use, and the very low height) with the sit?

Adriibabii replied 13 years, 4 months ago 11 Members · 16 Replies
  • 16 Replies
  • LopsiJulie

May 16, 2011 at 1:13 am

This took me 4 months to get!  I hate this move.  It sounds stupid, but my instructor simply said "why don't you try switching your arms?"  (so I have trying with left on top, and then switched to right and tadah! got it!).

Makes no sense but it worked for me.  Give it a go and let's see!

• Kobajo84

May 16, 2011 at 1:17 am

Do you have a video of yourself you could post?  That would be really helpful so we could see what you're doing wrong. 

• RoseMay

May 16, 2011 at 6:37 am

Can you do a wrist sit from standing? Like, you stand in front of your pole and put the back of one tucked leg against the pole, while the other one stays on the ground. Then you grab the pole with the hands in the wrist sit position and if you feel comfortable, raise the other leg off the ground. In the beginning you should keep both legs tucked in. If that's easy you can spread them out.

This progression helped me get the wrist sit.

• Cinara

May 16, 2011 at 7:07 am

Instead of bringing your legs straight out to the side, point them up towards the ceiling a little and lean back. This takes the pressure off your lower hand a bit, and makes the top hand work harder. The top hand is in a more natural position, so it can take more weight. I'm someone who learns through focussing on the "feel" of a move, so here's how I can best describe it: Despite the name, it shouldn't really feel like you're "sitting" on your lower hand (although it is helping hold you up, of course). It feels more like the feeling when you're just standing facing the pole, and you grab it with one hand and lean back.

I agree with RoseMay that it can also feel safer to release the pole with your legs bent in a froggy position before you extend them, so that your legs are close to the pole to regrasp if necessary.

• tiggertail

May 16, 2011 at 7:46 am

That one was a real nigtmare for me and it took me so long to be able to do it without falling on one side…or the other. The girls have really great tips so all i can say is don't give up and try new way to do it even if it sound silly https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_wink.gif

• dustbunny

May 16, 2011 at 12:23 pm

When I first tried learning this move, I was bringing my bottom hand around the side of my bum/thigh.  You can see what I mean here at 2:55 and 3:18.  http://www.youtube.com/user/spinbunny?feature=mhee#p/u/19/h3DRb1nxGjY  I found that really reaching back and down rather than around the side made a huge difference for me.
    Good luck!

• Runemist34

May 16, 2011 at 6:46 pm

Wow guys, thank you! Unfortunately I don't have a video (yet) of my failed (or flailed?) attempts, but I shall be getting some soon. I hope to do some more dancing tomorrow, if I'm not feeling so sick tomorrow! Managed to catch me a little cold, it seems!

As for the rest of the suggestions, I will certainly try them! It's good to know that the top hand SHOULD be doing a lot more than I'm pretty sure it is doing, and I will try it with just tucked legs first, as that should help me a little bit with the weight balance. I will also try putting my bottom hand off to one side, or switching which one it is, and see how that goes.

I'll keep you guys posted! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_heart1.gif

• Chiffon

May 17, 2011 at 5:59 am

I had the same problem with my pole sit – too much flailing around. What did the trick for me was switching hands to see which was more comfortable and as someone suggested, point your toes upward. So you’re in your pole sit, extend your legs toward, then lean back and point your toes and legs upward toward the ceiling. This puts you in a better postiton. When you’re comfortable, just bring your knees back towards your head, you don’t need to extend your legs. And if you feel solid, you can try extending your legs.

• FreeTheSun

May 17, 2011 at 10:41 am

Def try shifting more weight to the top hand. In a lot of the bobbi's vids, they are always doing what look like one handed wrist sit, but without the bottom hand so I donno what they call it then.

I was told to ensure that I sorta twisted and got the pole to one side so it was along the spot where the crease is between your butt and leg (at least if you have a big-ol butt like mine). I was told to practice from a plank. Then sort of rotate to one side and sorta tuck to move the pole there, and then lean back while lifting the legs up and open. It's a weird feeling but it seemed to help a lot of folks in class.

• Cinara

May 17, 2011 at 10:55 am

I go to Bobbi's and just learnt the wrist sit with both hands above the pole. Bobbi's refers to it as The Violator which I'm not so keen on https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_confused.gif but the most equivavlent move on Wikipole is the Diamond Cut. For this version you definately do have to have the pole off centre on the skin between your butt and leg. In a wrist sit you can do it either way, because of the lower hand. But you might as well go with the off-centre version from the beginning, so that it's easier to move on to the violator/diamond cut later.

• FreeTheSun

May 17, 2011 at 11:04 am

Yeah that's what I mentally meant. Learning it off center makes it easier to do the more advanced thing later (I agree I'm not keen to call it The Violator). Thanks for that!

• amy

May 17, 2011 at 12:17 pm

two hands above is also called the tail sit (http://www.triagedesign.co.uk/wikipole/index.php5?title=Tail_Spin)

to work the wrist seat, really make sure you bring your bent knees in toward your chest, then open them, THEN straighten. it'll also ensure that you are really scooping your belly and putting your tailbone/butt on the pole instead of your… lady bits.

• Runemist34

May 17, 2011 at 1:42 pm

Amy: So, I'm supposed to be scooping the belly and pushing my tailbone into the pole? I suppose that makes sense. I usually drop back as far as possible, but my ladybits don't really get bothered, so I figured I was fine Oo;

• amy

May 17, 2011 at 2:53 pm

the more your body weight is transferring INTO the pole, the less it's sliding down the pole. that's how people are able to do the tail sit (with both hands on top)!

• Runemist34

May 17, 2011 at 3:03 pm

Aha, that makes much more sense! I will try it out, possibly today (trying to ignore the sick!) and I'll let you guys know how it goes!

Page 1 of 2