StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions basic pole moves for guys?

• basic pole moves for guys?

Posted by HollySatine on March 28, 2011 at 9:26 am

Hi! What are some good basic (non-girly) pole moves to teach to guys who have never been on a pole before? Some moves I've already thought of:

basic pole holds (baseball grip, split grip, forearm grip, elbow grip)
    flag
    pole sit
    pole mount/crucifix
    pole climb
    basic plank
    tuck invert, V invert?
    side climb

…any others?

HollySatine replied 13 years, 6 months ago 5 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • amy

March 28, 2011 at 9:40 am

i strongly believe that everyone should learn spins– they take a lot of coordination and can help with increasing body awareness and placement of parts…

• EvaRut

March 28, 2011 at 5:45 pm

Why would beginner moves be different from guys and girls? You can make anything girly or manly. 🙂

• Runemist34

March 28, 2011 at 6:57 pm

I like a guy with a good body wave, to be honest, and I think that if guys want to get into pole, it's all the same, men or women. Learn spins first, work up your strength and body awareness, and then go into climbs, inversions, and whatnot. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_wink.gif

• HollySatine

March 28, 2011 at 7:19 pm

Sorry, I had started another similar post recently and didn't really clarify in this one – the only reason I'm trying to stay away from the "girly" stuff (although I agree with Eva – you can make anything girly or manly) is that I will be teaching guys who aren't already terribly interested in pole dancing (yet!) – I'm hosting an event for a co-ed fraternity and since I'm trying to attract as many people as possible (both guys and girls) I'm just trying to be sensitive to the fact that most people who don't know all the facts about pole dancing have preconceived notions about it – and frankly, I'm surprised I have any guys interested in the first place.  So, I don't want to scare any of them off! lol although I will be sure to add at least a spin or two to the list… 🙂

• stoneycook

March 29, 2011 at 12:32 am

I believe that the fundamentals start the same. For me the push is not to define movement based on some gender, either male or female. It falls in line with flow and movement. However the one point I find different in my approach, being a guy who is just beginning pole, is my recovery from a dismount to the floor. Far less body wave, more of a primary curve contraction ending with a strong angular line that reattaches to the pole.

So for me the exploration is about respecting my gender while acknowledging the roots of pole.

• stoneycook

March 29, 2011 at 12:32 am

I believe that the fundamentals start the same. For me the push is not to define movement based on some gender, either male or female. It falls in line with flow and movement. However the one point I find different in my approach, being a guy who is just beginning pole, is my recovery from a dismount to the floor. Far less body wave, more of a primary curve contraction ending with a strong angular line that reattaches to the pole.

So for me the exploration is about respecting my gender while acknowledging the roots of pole.

• HollySatine

March 29, 2011 at 11:16 am

thanks for the insight, stoneycook! 🙂