StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions calluses?

• chemgoddess1

March 11, 2012 at 7:22 pm
  • Polemist

March 11, 2012 at 7:28 pm

Oh Yes, I have one of those for my feet, good to know I can use it on my hands. There not too bad yet but they are just beginning so here's to hoping they don't get too crazy.

• Dancing Paws

March 11, 2012 at 7:55 pm

They are there to stay, but you want them there. If they weren't there, you would be getting mega blisters. My hands would blister and pop in one session before I developed calluses. Now I don't get blisters.

• jade s

March 12, 2012 at 12:59 am

@ EagleSpirit, I use the PedEgg on my hands too! Works like a charm for me : )

• marle777

March 13, 2012 at 6:05 pm

Confirmation on calluses helping your grip. I can remember looking at my younger sister's beat up hands from the uneven bars and her remarking about how she was glad they were there so she had a better grip in practice and competition. So, gymnasts are trained to welcome them. I don't like the way they look so I scrub/shave them off and my hands are soft but slippery again. Also more tender to pain. The same goes for dancing on releve and pointe. Toe calluses look yuk to me so I'll take the trade-off for pain. I gave up on using tools to get them off and just use my nails after softening my skin in the hot shower.

• RoseMay

March 13, 2012 at 6:47 pm

Meh, I should have listened to my own advice from this thread. Got a new 45mm pole a few weeks ago and already have some new monster calluses from not paying attention to my grip while being inverted. One of them even ripped open the other day and now I got a bunch of dead skin hanging from my hand. I hope it will fall off soon, looks kinda gross https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_confused.gif  I was in a pharmacy and they gave me some cream to soften the skin.

Never had a problem with calusses with my 50mm pole..

• Lana Lee

March 13, 2012 at 8:16 pm

I got really paranoid after reading this thread cause I don't think I had any callouses from poling.  Then I REALLY looked and felt around and noticed I had a mini little callous at the base of my middle finger on my right hand.  I wonder if it's going to get even uglier and bumpier and gross.  It's tiny and quite flat, just hard.  I don't think I should have to worry about shaving this sucker down any time soon… But when the time comes…  Where do I get this PedEgg and callous shaver?

• DeniseL

March 13, 2012 at 8:21 pm

@Ewa Tran – You should just ignore the calluses. They do no harm, but if you must get rid of them you can go to Shoppers Drug Mart, London Drugs, or pretty much any salon that does nails and get a shaver thingy or the sand paper stuck to the piece of wood….I don't think you will find the same style these ladies are talking about.

• JeHanne

March 13, 2012 at 8:52 pm

I have really hard scratchy calluses on my hands that you can see and feel. My hands are more callused than a welder friend of mine. My feet… ummm… let's just say they are 'dancer's feet' and have been described as 'scary' by my closest friends. I let the calluses be, I figure they are there for a reason. I'd rather have a rock hard butt than smooth hands anyways. 

Be careful with all those tools for callus removal. Any time I have tried to remove them the area gets extremely irritated. I probably am too aggressive or try to take off too much. I finally just stopped trying. I have found callus removal tools at any pharmacy, wal mart, target, or beauty supply store. Even found a natural pumice stone at Whole Foods.

Good luck with whatever you decide. 

• studio409

March 14, 2012 at 12:01 am

Ok, can you beat this; I have calluses inside my gemini leg lol

• JeHanne

March 14, 2012 at 12:02 am

Oh snap… I can't beat that one. LOL! 

Page 3 of 3