StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions depression and other s***

• depression and other s***

Posted by Dancing Paws on July 22, 2011 at 5:24 pm

………I'm not sure how to say this…

So, I suffer from a seizure disorder, and because of said seizure disorder I take seizure medications. Due to said seizure medications I get major side effects, that I am finding out are depression, anxiety, RAGE, zero libido (and mnd you I am 25 when I should be horny like a bunny), which makes me more depressed! So we are trying new meds, which add to the stress, since they mess with my birth control, making htem less effective, and can cause serious birth defects (adding to my stress!)

Does anyone else deal with depression and anxiety? The stress of not having a job, studying to get my ACE cert, and spending $$ to start classes that may or may not be successful is FREAKING ME OUT!

Apparently it doesn't help that I am low in Vitamin D (I live in the land of no sun.)

Sparklie replied 13 years, 1 month ago 14 Members · 28 Replies
  • 28 Replies
  • Dancing Paws

July 22, 2011 at 5:35 pm

I should note: I toold celexa…made me worse! Took prozac helped a little, but again SIDE EFFECTS!

• Aly77

July 22, 2011 at 10:04 pm

I take Lexapro and it works well for me. I don’t really notice any side effects, but of course everyone is different. My sister took Symbiax and gained a lot of weight…..and I don’t mean just like ten pounds. That was one of the side effects, and when she switched medications, she lost a lot of weight.
    I also struggle with anxiety and panic attacks. I had gallbladder problems in May 2010 and it took over a week to be diagnosed. After my gallbladder removal surgery I continued to have severe pain, and spent the next two weeks in the emergency room every couple of days. Finally after every test imaginable, they gave me an anti anxiety med in my iv, and that solved the problem. My anxiety manifests as pain and nausea. My panic attacks have been so bad that I have been hyperventilating and can’t even catch my breath to talk. I also drool, yes drool, and I am usually on the floor crawling around. I know this sounds weird, but when I’m in an attack this is what seems comfortable to me. I saw a psychiatrist for a while, but when she said to me, “well I don’t know what’s wrong with you or what’s causing this”, I decided to see someone else. Since going to someone else and getting medication for when I feel them coming on, I have had fewer and fewer to date. I know the reason they started….I thought I was going to die because I hurt so bad before my gallbladder surgery. There is just no trigger for them now…I could have an anxiety attack just sitting in bed. At least they’ve become less frequent though.
    I also went through severe depression during my whole pregnancy, and post partum depression for a long time. I didn’t want to take medication because it didn’t seem to work for me when I was younger, but looking back I should have. It was so bad, that I had a tubal ligation because I never wanted to go through that again, and my husband was all for it.
    You sound like you have a lot on your plate, and maybe taking a breather, if you can, would help. I can’t say I know exactly what youre going through and I know how you feel because everyone has different stress levels and breaking points. Just know that there are others who experience similar things, and its good to have someone to talk to, whether it be a friend, therapist, or someone on here. Also, if you don’t feel like a med is working or don’t like the side effects, by all means tell your doctor. There are a lot of medications out there and you’ll eventually find one that works for you. I hope everything goes well for you with all of your studying!!!!

• Dancing Paws

July 22, 2011 at 10:24 pm

The hard part for me is that my seizure disorder is a complicating factor. My neuro put me on lamictal bc it had little to no libido effects but it madee itchy and I felt like my throat was swelling. The only anti depressant that has shown to increase libido instead of lowering it is wellbutrin, and my neuro told the that I CANNOT take it bc it lowers the seizure threshold. Rawr!!!!! He put me back on tops ax, which I have taken before, but it makes my birth control less effective, and if you get pregnant on it you can have birth defects (and I do not want babies right now anyways.) it takes at least one month to wean off of, so by the time you realize you are pregnant, then get off the meda, you are almost through the third month.

I am SERIOUSLY considering stopping my seizure meds and tring some weed during the seizures to see if that will stop them. I have seen a bunch of people on the epilepsy forums talking about how they gave up on meds and started using pot to control their epilepsy, but there are also people who have their seizures triggered by pot so who knows…I still think it is worth a try. The downside is being high for a week at a time, and it is not a real prevention.

• reenie aka Mysfit

July 22, 2011 at 10:52 pm

Most people I find are on some sort of med nowadays….We need to get out of the rat race and back into the human race. So, please don't feel you are alone…..you're not.

Mood Disorders/Chemical Brain Imbalances/Depression run in my family……However, I had never had any issues with depression at all my whole life………Then~in 2000, my family experienced a very tragic and traumatic death and out of nowhere—Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome led into debilitating depression which then lead into a milder depression combined with seasonal affective.

Originally, they had me taking Paxil. This was the worst 2 years of my life……….Tons of libido—-UNABLE to have an orgasm. I now know how women can go postal—-Brutal thing to deal with. This, as you can imagine, created more problems between myself & hubby—on top of all the other crap we were already trying to cope with.

I bitched enough and finally got my GP to refer me off to a psychiatrist. I literally told him if I didn't get off soon…..I was gonna show up with a large gun and start shooting. LOL—-I was only half kidding too…..that was a dark place to be……..

So, the psychiatrist changed me onto Effexor. It has worked well. I have managed to get down to 75mg a day instead of the 300mg I was originally taking.

So, 11 years later…………after one heck of a tumultuous roller coaster ride of being up and down on meds, on and off different ones, I still need that 75mg it seems.

My psychiatrist has explained it like this–

As I have such a strong genetic line of history of depression…….I have carried this gene that laid dormant. Until–it was awoken. Now, it may likely never go back to sleep. I was getting frustrated by not being able to get off the effexor completely.

I am good with taking the 75mg a day now. I have come so far, and survived so much, that if I require a little capsule each day to help me bop along happily in balance………..I am good with it.

Exercise has helped tons. Releases all those feel good ju ju chemicals………

Taking the Vit D will help, but it needs to be taken with calcium in order to metabolize properly.

Please check with your Dr or pharmacist before taking anything though. Yes, even vitamins.

Or search an online pharmacological reference for known drug interactions.

Sometimes, certain vitamins can't be taken within an hour or two or certain meds etc…..

• tarah

July 22, 2011 at 11:52 pm

hi sensual..  wow, you are really dealing with alot right now.   very good advice from reenie and aly!  i can't add much to that, but i would say try the pot – it could work.  and if not, like aly said there are so many different meds out there, so hopefully you will find something that works.  As for me, i went through a couple of years of severe chronic insomnia which was caused by emotional stress in a relationship (he was an alcoholic with borderline personality disorder).  being such a health nut, i wanted to try all the "natural" sleep aids and was afraid to go to a doctor because i thought pharmaceuticals were "bad."  looking back, i should have gone to the doctor sooner.  the insomnia progressed into anxiety, then to clinical depression.  all of these are basically the result of low levels of serotonin.  I went on Ambien (which i believe saved my life) for several years, then switched to Clonazepam (Klonopin) which is an anit-anxiety med, but works better than Ambien for me, for sleep.  (by the way Klonopin is also prescribed for seizures).  I have been able to reduce my dosage at times, but my priority is SLEEP, not how much medication i am taking.  I have no sex drive at all, but that happened after i went through early menopause/adrenal fatigue.  I recovered from that (with increased vitamin intake and certain herbs), but never got my sex drive back.  I'm about to turn 45, I'm married, so sex isn't such a big deal to me anymore.  Now I prefer back rubs or foot massages, lol.  I thought pole might help, but it didn't really, however exercise is super-important for anything related to anxiety, so I am happy to have a workout that is fun and to be a part of this community.  I wish you the best of luck with everything. 🙂

• Dancing Paws

July 23, 2011 at 12:12 am

I want to note a few other things. The depression started creeping in when I found out they were shutting down the site I worked at so I would be losing my job. Then my fiancee got into Grad school up here so we realized we would be leaving everyone and everything we ever knew. Then I found out my daddy had emphysema, neural problems, his lung function was 2% away from needing a lung transplant, and a few other issues…the list of stresses just kept growing to the point where I had a panic attack for two days straight and had to go on disability for two weeks! Anyways, things have gotten better, but I Still have major stresses along with my fiancee being stressed out as well. I desperately want a libido. I have been on this medication since I wad 21, so I have no idea what it is like to have a normal sex life and it is awful!!!! I have read abouten stopping their medication so they can have sex. I cannot help but feel it is almost unfair. I do know depression runs in my family, but I really suspect the medication is the cause. There are tons of people complaining of suicidal thoughts on Keppra. There is even a term called “Keppra rage.” I did not even associate the fact that me getting upset over the stupidest things could be bc of my meds. I thought it was hormones, but my hormones should not be all the time!

• tarah

July 23, 2011 at 12:43 am

well i would say ask your doctor about clonazepam. every time i have had to get a new doctor, they try to get me to try something else (because it's addictive) and nothing else has worked, or caused terrible side effects.  i am very sensitive to meds but this works for me.  that keppra sounds awful! 

• reenie aka Mysfit

July 23, 2011 at 1:12 am

Good lord sweetie………Too much to go through in a short period of time…..Huge hugs and support to you~~

First—-Breathe…..Say it with me Breathe…….

Second—Don't stop meds. It is seriously dangerous. Really dangerous. I can't stress that enough.

How long have the 2 of you been together?

What do you guys enjoy doing together that is fun?

• Dancing Paws

July 23, 2011 at 1:13 am

I am very sensitive to medications too. I took ONE dose of lamictal and started itching. I was on celexa for 2 days and could not stop crying. They said it would take 2 weeks to see if it would affect me..yeah right!

• Runemist34

July 23, 2011 at 1:49 am

While I have no idea what kinds of medication is out there for seizures, I know that Anxiety and Depression medication are only a temporary measure. This is what my doctor told me, that they are ONLY meant to be TEMPORARY. Just so everyone knows.

I dealt with depression for a long time, and I still deal with anxiety. Interestingly, the two often go hand-in-hand, one often masking the other. My depression masked the anxiety I dealt with every day…because if I didn't care, I wasn't scared, right?

It took me a long time to get through it, and the thing I found most helpful (and still find helpful when it comes to anxiety) is balance. For every negative thing you think, about yourself or about others or the world, you must balance it with something positive. Cut out the things that are poisoning you- obviously, with great care and control. Be honest with yourself, but also be kind.

I've got the hormones of a frigging farm wife- constantly kicking out babies, and constantly having sex to make more! I want to do it like a rabbit and I'm always hormonal! Especially around "that time," I go insane sometimes. I've felt every single emotion I could name at the same time, it gets that bad sometimes. So, you CAN be hormonal all the time. It's possible. It sucks, but it's possible! This comes with it's good and bad points, and comes with it's ups and downs. Sometimes I'm hot as a furnace, and sometimes I'm just…not. So, it comes and goes!

Like I said, I don't know a lot about medication when it comes to those for seizures, so talk to your doctor about it, at length! Seriously. He or she needs to know about all these things, about all the stresses and concerns. You may eventually find a medication that works for you.

And, lastly, if you need someone to talk to, I'm usually free- but, obviously, there are many women here who are like that, and are willing to talk! Know that you aren't alone. We're here with you on your journey, and we do care. 🙂

• Runemist34

July 23, 2011 at 1:55 am

Oh, and I was going to say, technically the doctor is right. Medication takes 2 weeks or so to effect you…but that doesn't mean it takes two weeks for the withdrawals from the previous medication to effect you!

As far as I'm aware (this is mostly anxiety and depression medication, but I think it's similar for most others), medications will effect the chemicals in your brain. These are the chemicals which tell us how to feel, how and what to think, what's going on in life. You have a flood of endorphins, and you feel happy! But, that also sometimes happens with seretonin, and others. Doctors don't really know how it all works yet…it's all very complicated!

So, think about it this way: One medication may increase the amount of one certain chemical in your brain, where another medication may decrease another chemical. So, when you stop taking one of them, your chemicals aren't right! Your brain is waiting for that medication to come back, it thinks it doesn't need to do what the medication was doing, so you're imbalanced. This can show itself as depression and anxiety, or as suicidal or homicidal thoughts, as extreme happiness or sadness, as uncontrollable crying…as so much stuff.

• Hazi411

July 23, 2011 at 2:18 am

Hi, I'm another one with depression.  I have a family history of it (there have been 2 suicides in my paternal line, and probably a lot of undiagnosed depression as well). 

Right now I'm trying to deal with having extreme difficulty waking up in the mornings (not as trivial as it sounds).  So no, you're not alone. 

I'm currently on Pristiq 100mg.  Prior to that I was on Lexapro.  Pristiq seems to work fine for me most of the time. 

My depression seems to get worse in winter, and coming up to Christmas.  I've had several bouts of feeling suicidal over the years, and have had psychiatric treatment, hypnotherapy, and counselling at various times, to help me deal with things.

• ofezo

July 23, 2011 at 7:03 am

I would recommend reading Dr. Brian Weiss’ books. he’s a psychiatrist who has a lot of experience with hypnosis and past-life regression therapy. The idea is that we have all had previous lives and ailments in this lifetime are likely due to some trauma that has happened in a previous lifetime. After learning about the past trauma, the person is cured. He’s helped thousands of people, and you don’t have to believe in it for it to work. He doesn’t take private patients anymore but he’s trained others to do this type of hypnosis, so you should be able to find someone. He also does workshops around the country.

• Finreah

July 23, 2011 at 7:54 am

Word of warning with the weed. I suffer from depression and anxiety, brought on by childhood abuse and I also suffered from severe postpartum depression after my son was born. I'm luckily in a place now that I don't need the meds. My GP told me that weed is good for anxiety and mild pain relief in small doses. If you smoke too much it can have the opposite effect. Meaning it can bring on more attacks and make you more depressed. He recommended that I smoke a small amount ( like one or two hits at most ) a day and the rest just eat well and exercise. Talk to your GP, before you try anything in some cases weed reacts badly with prescription meds. I'm very luck to have a doctor that I feel comfortable with and is honest and frank about things like this. Hopefully you are too. Hugs and love to you. 

PS weed can increase libido in women, but like I said, before please talk with your doc before you change anything with your meds and ask about taking a combo of things. When I was at my worst after my son was born. I took Zoloft and Clonazepam (  (( in the morning and Trazidone( an antidrepessiant that will make you crazy sleepy) in the evenings.These are all meds that have been on the market for awhile so they have a large body of research behind them.Maybe going "old school" would work for you. And like Runemist said we are all here for you and are happy to listen to you if you need to bitch and moan. xoxo 

• Miraine

July 23, 2011 at 8:19 am

Heya.  Such a lot you're going through at the moment, sorry to hear that.  Just wanted to make one small point though:  You said you're on birth control, and that you're very sensitive to medications.  I'd also say I'm pretty sensitive to things, and found that birth control pill destroyed my libido and caused depression.  I tried all the three main "groups" of birth control pill, same effect from all, in varying degrees.

I know it's one tiny factor in amongst a whole host of troubles you have, but if one of your other medications makes it less effective anyway, might it be worth abandoning that for a few months and using other (non-chemical) means?

It did take a few months for the after effects to let up, I'm afraid to say, so if this is contributing, it's not going to be an instant fix.

Page 1 of 2