StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions does anybody else pole in tight spaces?

• does anybody else pole in tight spaces?

Posted by mermaid21 on January 28, 2015 at 2:47 am

OK so I’m getting a pole in my house in a few weeks. My mom is not going to let me remove the ceiling fans and it defiantly can’t go in her room which is the biggest room. Now I only have the laundry room. Details, I can’t extend fully into a spilt horizontal but vertically I can and have enough space to walk up and down. Now I’m not sure of the measurements I’ll take them tomorrow and let you guys know but I’m 5’6. Or should I try to convince my mom to let me use her room to pole? Ugh the struggles lol on the bright side the laundry room doesn’t have a ceiling fan. And I just think the laundry room is a weird place for a pole but I really love poling ugh. Does anybody else have this problem. Is it unpolable?

Dead and Lovely replied 9 years, 7 months ago 13 Members · 12 Replies
  • 12 Replies
  • AllysonKendal

January 28, 2015 at 8:41 am

My space is not ideal. Pictures usually make it look bigger than it is. I try and make it work. It’s particularly bad in one direction. I have to plan out which ways I can do certain moves…

It works for now. But if I ever get to the point where I want to do an extended butterfly or maybe even a regular butterfly on spin I’m going to smash my foot into a wall.

Can you just set up your pole near the fan and take the blades off (if it’s the normal old kind before they started looking like spaceships then the blades usually just clip on and off. 🙂 and just make sure you don’t kick the rest?

• poleisnewtome

January 28, 2015 at 9:58 am

I’d rather pole in a tight space than to pole in no space. I wish I could practice at home but I just can’t because my ceiling is too low. I was thinking of buying an x-stage and do it outside, but I’d only be able to use it half the year since half the year it’s way too cold. Anyone have a pole up in the garage? Again, I’d only be able to do that half the year because it would be too cold, but I’ve thought about it.

• Girl On A Pole

January 28, 2015 at 10:42 am

I do. In my living room and I’ve to push the dining table away (Heavy), move 4 chairs, roll up a rug, move the dog’s leather cushion and all her teddies and push 2 settees forward and out of the way, Once I’ve done that I can pole. The space isn’t massive but better than no pole.

• Runemist34

January 28, 2015 at 10:51 am

I pole in my bedroom, and though it may be a large bedroom, it has the challenge of also housing my queen-sized bed, a dresser, a huge bookshelf, and a desk… and there are only so many configurations that can be done with all these pieces, due to window and closet and such.
    So, my pole space is smaller than ideal. I can’t fully extend when doing a lot of spins, and trying to find space to practice splits is a study in diagonals.
    However, I have had smaller. I’ve poled once in my kitchen, which at the time was barely large enough for two people, but also had a large kitchen table in it, with four chairs. I had to move the furniture when I wanted to dance.
    I’ve also poled in computer rooms, living rooms, and a downstairs seating area (my parents house, they never used that space).
    So, yes, I think it’s entirely possible to work on pole dancing in smaller spaces… it may not be ideal, but it may also bring out a certain kind of creativity.

• Aquarian Air

January 28, 2015 at 2:25 pm

I have a tight pole space at home, it’s in my room and I’m constantly kicking my bed, mirror, dresser, but I do what I can to make the best of it 🙂 as mentioned above I’d rather have small pole space then no pole space 🙂

• Veena

Administrator
    January 29, 2015 at 6:55 pm

I’ve danced in tight places and while it’s not idea there’s usually a way to make it work. You might not be able to do spins but you could work on other things!

• Casi

January 30, 2015 at 7:30 am

I’ve tried poling with the pole set up in a hallway door jam. It’s really kind of desperate since its both too narrow and too short. All I can do is some conditioning, and static moves that are only open out in one direction. While I love my apartment, it has high arched brick ceilings and there is no way to put up a pole anywhere else. I may even end up moving at some point because of it. I looked into getting an x-stage lite, but the cost of shipping one to Mexico was just too much. Sigh. Even if I can only have the pole set up in a doorway, it’s still better than nothing!

• rsk269

January 30, 2015 at 5:45 pm

I have squeezed in a pole between my dining table and coffee table in the living room and it’s really tight. I can barely do a fireman spin.

I’m seriously considering getting rid of my queen bed, having one of those rollaway beds instead and moving my pole into the bedroom so it can have all the bedroom to itself! It just sounds too crazy to go through with though! Sigh!

• Baudelaire

January 30, 2015 at 6:53 pm

Poling in tight spaces can be a good thing! A few years ago i had a 4.6metre pole in a warehouse – space for days! Now i live in a regular house with only 2 and a bit metre ceilings and i kick the walls when i extend out to a ext butterfly. But the smaller space has taught me to be more controlled, straddle with a tighter tuck and my body awareness when doing big spins has grown remarkably. Its not all bad 🙂

• Rylonn

January 31, 2015 at 2:36 pm

I pole in my university dorm room, so yeah, space is pretty tight. I think I developed some crazy sickle foot from subconsciously trying to not hit the walls/desk during spins. Any one else experience something similar?

• Vdub

February 1, 2015 at 6:29 pm

I’ve poled in tight spaces as well. I used to use it as an excuse not to pole, but then I realized there were lots of things I could do. So, I started practicing different climbs and doing basic conditioning (pull ups, etc). Do what you can. Your body will benefit no matter what.

• Dead and Lovely

March 11, 2015 at 4:33 pm

Yes! I live in a SMALL studio apartment with my boyfriend and cat. It’s about 15′ x 15′ – basically a room with a kitchen in it (= No separate room. I have my pole/yoga corner and it works fine for me.

My boyfriend tried to hang a floating bookshelf in “my” corner the other day and I almost lost it. There’s already a free standing bookshelf obstructing my space. I decided to not argue and let him do it. To bad for him he couldn’t drill holes through our concrete walls and he gave up. I win (=