StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions elbow grip aysha fang tips?

• elbow grip aysha fang tips?

Posted by HollySatine on January 3, 2012 at 11:48 pm

I just got my elbow grip aysha solid (with my body away from the pole) – now does anyone have any tips for trying the fang?  I'm pretty sure I have the back flexibility but I feel kind of scared to do it, like I'm going to flip over.  Do you need to keep your body closer to the pole to compensate for the weight shift when you arch back and bend your legs at all?  Are there any other tips for doing this move that make it different from the regular aysha?

In case you aren't sure what I'm talking about, here's a vid of Jenyne doing the move: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9X-Y6vb_zCs

HollySatine replied 12 years, 8 months ago 10 Members · 19 Replies
  • 19 Replies
  • Danielle Tillie

January 4, 2012 at 1:22 am

I look forward to any advice on this. I have managed the position from a forearm grip aysha but it isn’t nearly fully extended because it feels like I might fall backwards.

• Cocoa0

January 4, 2012 at 2:48 am

You do need to keep your body a bit closer to the pole for this move (depending on your strength level). I would start by getting comfortable in an elbow grip candlestick (or straight edge) From there you would push your hips forward a bit as you drop your legs back (towards your head). And I have seen girls “roll” out of this move (not fun). You have to have a STRONG back bend to perform this move.

• amy

January 4, 2012 at 8:20 am

It puts all the weight of your body COMPLETELY in your lower arm, and it takes a LOT of shoulder/lat strength to not bail out of it… The more you lean back, the less your weight is stacked and the more your weight “breaks” at your shoulder line. I have a lot of difficulty with this, I find there is a point where I just have to abort because my shoulders are not strong enough and the pressure on my lower arm/shoulder gets too intense. If you do this, don’t do it without a spot because it’s hard to control the way ou fall out of it if you’re really going for it.

• amy

January 4, 2012 at 8:23 am

If you think about it, it’s essentially a one-handed scorpion handstand (http://yoga.about.com/od/yogaposes/a/scorpion.htm). It’s a move that I think is WAY harder than it looks.

• moonflower

January 4, 2012 at 8:35 am

Amy is right. It's a lot of weight and stress on the lower arm and shoulder. I don;t really have many tips on getting the fang except that you have to be able to stay in the elbow grip aysha comfortably for a period of time while changing leg position ( therefore, balance while shifting your weight).  Also, in the aysha, if your lower hand slide a little bit becuase of a slippy pole, it's not the end of the world, just hook your legs and you are safe. If your hands slide in a fang, it's terrifying. On slicker pole days I've had "ABORT ABORT ABORT" moments doing the fang.

• crazykitten

January 4, 2012 at 10:37 am

This is the only move I've fallen out of, because I didn't compensate and move my body closer to the pole.  Be very careful!  I agree with Cocoa0, get very comfortable with the straight edge/candlestick first.

• PlatinumAni

January 4, 2012 at 9:53 pm

I was shown to go into it from an elbow grip butterfly and that works for me. I will say I tumbled out of it last week.. but luckily caught myself and lowered to my mat. For me it is imperative to feel really comfy in your elbow grip and concentrate on engaging my abs. Good luck and be careful!

• MrsNaughtywed

January 5, 2012 at 9:52 am

Just make sure you are not stressing your bottom arm too much or putting your entire weight on your bottom arm. I learned the hard way. Try and focus on squeezing you elbow grip more so that you put more weight on your elbow too. Best of luck. 🙂

• PlatinumAni

January 5, 2012 at 10:09 am

@MNW- Yes I don't know how to say it but… I basically *hang* from my elbow grip… I know that is a bad word, but I feel most of my weight is on my elbow!

• amy

January 5, 2012 at 10:31 am

the more of a back arch you have, and the further you let your feet drop towards your head, pushing your hips forward, the less you can rely on the elbow.

• moonflower

January 5, 2012 at 11:15 am

Yup, the more arched you are, the more weight is transfered to your lower shoulder and arms. In my profile pic, my elbows is not really holding my up as it is stopping me from falling back while my lower arm is holding me away.

• amy

January 5, 2012 at 12:31 pm

Totally agree moonflower.

There's a different between just bringing your legs back and into fang leg position, and actually arching into the move. Engagement completely changes based on how deep into it you go.

• PlatinumAni

January 5, 2012 at 1:10 pm

I retract/edit my statement. 🙂 I am not nearly as far into it as moonflower.. and doubt I will be. It is not a move that is important to me and my comfort level is low with it. My apologies!   https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_safesex.gif

• HollySatine

January 10, 2012 at 1:58 am
  • HollySatine

January 10, 2012 at 2:02 am
Page 1 of 2