StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions fed up. is poling for me!

• fed up. is poling for me!

Posted by unicorn on March 1, 2011 at 11:36 am

Hi guys, I am so fed up its untrue, after starting pole fitne sin Dec and it being very slow, I hurt my shouder and wrist, 4 weeks later is on the mend or so I thought..

Today after 4 weeks of no poling I have a little practce today. My word, I totally suck!!!

I am back at the start with what I did learn on spins..All I can do is a climb , pole sit,  Basic Invert..A few spins.. I was working on the plank before I hurt my shoulder and wrist..

Today after just  10 mins of practice I had to thrown in the towel I was knackered, My muscles ache bad all over my body lately..

I tried a pole sit which was ok and slowly moved into posistion to do the plank..I just have no strength in me at all.. I have been working on strength exrecises , more so before my Injury.

I just feel so dishearted at the moment and thinking to myself , "you know what, forget it, you cant do it, you never will be able too so dont bother trying"

All I can do is watch all your videos you post and watch in envy..

Is this normal to be feeling so dam useless at this!!   

I dont want to give this up but I just seem to have lost my mojo!!

Cherry87 replied 13 years, 6 months ago 12 Members · 17 Replies
  • 17 Replies
  • PoleFitMom

March 1, 2011 at 11:42 am

I know exactly how you feel – I was so bad at first, didn't have the longevity or any upper body strength. Just stick with it  :o)  Even if you are only on the pole for 10 minutes. That is how I started. It will click, you just need to stop worrying so much & make sure you are careful with your shoulder and wrist.

Keep your chin up, pole sister  :o)  It will get better!

• Veena

Administrator
    March 1, 2011 at 11:51 am

@ Sues, I think everyone feels that way at some point. So your not alone there! The first practice back after being off the pole tends to be terrible, at least for me anyway.

Because you have had shoulder and wrist troubles, it sounds like you may need to work on things that will build strength before you work on spins and inverts. Starting with some conditioning exercises for the wrist and shoulders, would be better than rushing into pole work. If you are taking the lessons you can find conditioning exercises for both wrist and shoulders that you might wanna check out. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_flower.gif

• tiggertail

March 1, 2011 at 11:54 am

Don't give up girl, pole dance is a bumpy ride. When i start i did hurt myself a couple of time and it was hard on me. Of course you lose strenght when you can't pratice but that don't mean that you will never be able to do those moves. In the beginning we want to learn all the move and it never go fast enough just relax and have fun.

The big question is do you enjoy poling? if it's only an exercise than you can go to the gym but if you like the fact that you can play and dance just keep working it's worth it. You'll get stronger with time and remenber that you can always use it just for fun and it's a workout too,

• Polecat88

March 1, 2011 at 1:16 pm

I didn't invert for aaaages, don't worry lovely, you'll come along, I've just strained myu tendon in my right wrist slightly, so I'm taking it very easy and being forced to do all left hand work!#

Dont give up! xx

• Runemist34

March 1, 2011 at 1:22 pm

Felt it a few times, so not to worry, it's all normal!

I found that, after a shortish break, such as when I got sick (two weeks off the pole) or something close to that, the next time I tried was horrible. I was shaking, weak, feeble and felt awful, I could barely do half my normal skillset, and trust me…that's not a lot! After that one, though, I felt WAY better, and I'm just getting better from there!

After a longer period of time (such as a couple of months) you'll find that your brain thinks it remembers how to do everything, but your body doesn't have the strength to do it. You've gotta be gentle with yourself, take it slow, try to take the time to work on those old moves you used to do, the ones you said "I'll improve on that later!" Especially after an injury, you have to be careful!

I look at everyone else's videos with envy, too! In my eyes, no one has too much fat, no one has cellulite, and everyone is beautiful, skilled, flowing and perfect. Except for me.https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_confused.gif But I'm working to change that!

• Sair

March 1, 2011 at 1:34 pm

Oh Sues 🙂 Don't give up!

It's totally normal to be a bit rusty even after a week off. Just keep practising and your body will start to remember the way the movements felt before you took your break  🙂

It's always worth it to keep on trying.

🙂

• miss fern

March 1, 2011 at 6:58 pm

You started in December and you can climb, site AND invert?

It took me SIX MONTHS  of two lessons week before I could climb and sit.

It took me 9 MONTHS of two lessons a week before I could invert – and it was a super crappy "hit and miss" style invert at that.

You DEFINITELY will be able to the plank, and countless other awesome tricks – but ONLY if you keep trying and don't give up! 😀

• miss fern

March 1, 2011 at 6:59 pm

climb, *sit

able to *do the

• JeHanne

March 1, 2011 at 11:44 pm

Hi Sues,

Take care of yourself and ease back in. It is easy to get discouraged and frustrated… but try to remember all the great things you love about pole! You will get to where you were and beyond in no time. 

: )

• tarah

March 2, 2011 at 12:22 am

Hey Sues  https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_flower.gif  Like Veena said, this happens to all of us at some point.  I would definitely work on those strengthening exercises, but also focus on having FUN just dancing and being sexy, put on some music that you love and just practice the "easy" stuff, work on your hip circles, turns and other transitional moves.  Some days I don't have enough energy to get on the pole, so I put on a dvd and just do "warmup" stretches and floorwork.  Hope you are feeling better soon!!

• Shellectra

March 2, 2011 at 3:08 am

Don't give up!!! Late last year when I started poling I was horribly jealous of everyone elses photos and videos!! Terribly jealous.  And I felt so weak on the pole.  But you know what, the beginning is the start you have to get through…. because not only are you learning to pole, climb and spin etc… but you are leaning these things without appropriate body strength!! Once you build up the strength in your upper body, abs etc, tricks will be easier to learn and you will be learning harder tricks in no time (cos you will now have lots more strength), so you have to fight through the beginning and at the same time you will build strength.  It's totally normal to be at the level you are at now, keep practising, believe me, and over months you will suddenly realize how strong you are and will learn much quicker!!  🙂

• Shellectra

March 2, 2011 at 3:11 am

I could only pole sit, climb, and do basic spins and basic invert (barely) with no other accomplishments and thats onlly 6 months ago… keep at it.  Also everyone learns at a different rate, and practises more or less than each other…so if you take longer, that's fine! It's all a journey 🙂

• unicorn

March 2, 2011 at 3:17 am

Bless you all for your kind words….

Cheered me up a wee bit… I think I am just one of these people that like things done now!  lol! 

Well after the lat practice I have hurt that dam shoulder again, so it looks like another 4 weeks off.. grrrrr !!

V I know how you feel with your foot now.. so frustrating.. 

Ok I will take this slow, forget the tricks etc for now, concentrate on floor work,  transitions etc..

So it happens to us all then by the sounds of it.. I think too the strength training I did do just seems a whole waste of time now, I guess I just need to start again..

My tummy lacks muscle .. any tips on exercises I can do for that, UI have been doing the switch one in Veenas lessons.. So hard to get motivated on yur own..

Need to kick myself up the back side and work at this.. I love poling I love how it makes me feel.. I love seeing others dance and do these amaizing pole tricks, so much admiration for everyone wo does this.. the strength you need is unbelievable.. I jut cant see me ever pulling of some of the tricks.. I would like to fast forward a few years and see if I can,, Would be a fantastic dream if I could

Thanks again my SV friends…x

• Polecat88

March 2, 2011 at 5:14 am

Another fun thing which could help with motivation is poling with a friend! I love, love, love company for poling. Maybe even if you have a friend who would like a go but never has you can show her a few spins.

Seeing other people discover the joy of pole always helps remind you how much fun it can be!

• Sair

March 2, 2011 at 1:10 pm

If you work on that floorwork for the next 4 weeks as much as you normally work on the pole, you'll be a total sex kitten by the time you get back on that pole 😉

Floorwork may not seem all that fun for some, but once you have some floor moves mastered, and add them into your pole dances, it takes it to a whole new level.

Personally I find that working on floor moves helps with the fluidity of my dancing when I'm on the pole. It teaches your body that extra bit of control.

Will def. help with your abs too if you're doing the right movements 😉

Think slow and sultry!

You rock Sues! You're not allowed to give up!

Page 1 of 2