StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions inverting is frustrating

• inverting is frustrating

Posted by garynnnjb5232 on March 27, 2015 at 2:11 pm

Disclaimer: i know veena has lessons, and i know everyone inverts at different times

Now ive just started poling consistantly for 3 months, and im still a beginner with a few intermediate moves. Ive been doing exercises like the pole crunch and learning inverting from the ground, and strength training 3x a week at the gym. But i just cant seem to get my hips up. Its sooooo frustrating. everyone says the same thing: look behind you, hands low on the pole, blah blah. But nothing is helping. Any tips, and exercises that will increase my abdominal strength, and how can i get my hips up?

Moves mastered: 7-10 basic spins, crucifix, plank, etc

garynnnjb5232 replied 9 years, 6 months ago 19 Members · 40 Replies
  • 40 Replies
  • Phoenix Hunter

March 27, 2015 at 2:22 pm

I would say keep doing what you are doing. the pole crunches are probably the most effective way of getting there and keep doing inverts on the ground. seriously that is probably the most effective exercises to do. it has taken me a year and half to finally feel Ok with inverts. your body just needs more strength and time. start working on other things. doing other pole tricks will get you stronger too and you will be inverting before you know it. also, this depends on what kind of invert you are doing. are you trying to do a basic invert? a chopper? a tuck invert? you mentioned looking behind you thats why I was thinking maybe you are trying to do a tuck or chopper invert. if so, just work on your basic invert first. work on other things like pole climbs to develop strength as well. instead of regular pole crunches lift your legs in a V instead. its hard! no joke. but those are the muscles needed for inverting. also, you can post a video here of your invert if you feel maybe you have the strength but just need help with technique. inverting is hard. dont let anyone fool you. it’s hard and takes a lot of strength. some people are just lucky and strong enough that they can do them sooner than others. but those muscles can be developed and it is possible.

• Phoenix Hunter

March 27, 2015 at 2:24 pm

also, work on things like a wrist sit. that really develops your biceps and abs and its fun to do. again, not easy to do but more fun that frustrating or hurting yourself by trying to invert repeatedly.

• poleisnewtome

March 27, 2015 at 3:31 pm

@garynnn I have the same problem with getting my hips up in the inverted V. I can get my hips up in the regular invert only after hooking my foot. I feel like with the inverted V it’s just a strength issue. I dont know.

What I find more difficult, though, is feeling secure once I’m up there. I dont feel like there is any grip in my legs and can’t let go of my hands. I guess it will come with time.

• garynnnjb5232

March 27, 2015 at 4:45 pm

Thax for replying everyone….ill keep working at it. @pheonix yes ill work on my wrist sits nd keep doing pole crunches etc.

im tall nd have long arms and legs. Whats the best arm positioning?

• garynnnjb5232

March 27, 2015 at 4:47 pm

@poleisnewtome im thinking i have week hip flexors or maybe its lower abs?
    Its frustrating, but i wont b defeated 🙂

• Runemist34

March 27, 2015 at 4:48 pm

I strongly agree with Phoenix- it’s a matter of strength and time. Basic inverts take a LOT more strength than we give them credit for, and they can take some people a very long time.
    Not being able to get all the way up until after you hook your foot is a clear sign of not being quite strong enough- and, yes, I used to do that all the bloody time.
    It is super frustrating to just want a move so bad, especially one that seems to “essential” to pole dancing. It’s a very versatile move, and it’s a focal point of what we consider to be the point of pole dancing. I would argue, however, that a massive amount of very difficult moves do not require the basic invert, and that you can gain a lot of strength even before trying it out.
    Side hold tucks, as well as climbs, and even inverted sit-ups if you’re really into it (I will do them, eventually, from a cross ankle release), can all help with this tipping issue. Much of it is core strength, and while we might think our core is rock solid, there is still so much more we can gain! I know I’m in the best shape I’ve ever been, and I have never been as strong as I am now… and I still have a rough time inverting!
    Keep at it, and get creative! You can still learn so much more on the pole without the basic invert. You WILL get there, especially if you keep pushing yourself, safely!

• Runemist34

March 27, 2015 at 4:51 pm

Also I’ve found that the best arm positioning is with right angles. Inside hand’s shoulder and elbow should be right angles, which means your upper arm is completely and exactly horizontal (level with the floor), and then using your forearm and hand to pull into the pole. Many people choose to grip the pole this way, even locking it between your lower arm and your body for more security and grip.
    Outside hand would be just above that- not quite touching, but no more than about a thumb’s width away.
    Veena’s lessons on the Side pole hold are really awesome at explaining this. It’s more difficult to do with words 😉

• CD Hussey fka Jivete

March 27, 2015 at 6:48 pm

Do you have access to a pull up bar? Inverting on pole is odd because you are off centered. I’d recommend using a pull up bar to do what we call “egg roll”. I’m having a hard time finding a demo online, but in this lyra video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fm2jLZEfOhY, I do one at 8 seconds. Just don’t go through. Basically get into a “hold” position on a pull up bar. Bring your knees up to your chest and lean back. It’s a lot easier when your body is centered than when it’s off to one side like in pole.

We usually do multiple ones in a row, on silks and on lyra. Once you can do them on the pull up bar, try it on the pole. Same basic exercise.

• garynnnjb5232

March 28, 2015 at 10:46 am

@runemist34 yes im gonna look at a veena video as well. but i get confused because ive had ppl say hands below ears close to shoulders (ofcourse inside hand is always lower), outside hand by ear, etc etc. Im gonna keep trying

• garynnnjb5232

March 28, 2015 at 10:49 am

@jivete im gonna try tucking when i do pull ups at the gym. I have made progress though. I can get my hips off the pole but not up.
    ive been doing some calistenics wrk aswell. l sits, dragonflag progressions. Any good ab conditioning nd strengthening moves?

• CD Hussey fka Jivete

March 28, 2015 at 12:24 pm

If you are working toward dragon flags, I don’t think it’s necessarily a strength issue. My guess is you are trying to keep your head up too much. There’s a pivot moment that doesn’t feel natural for many people.

• Veena

Administrator
    March 28, 2015 at 1:03 pm

Post a video so we can help you. Also, I know you don’t want to hear this, but there are tons of things in the lessons that can help! 😉

• ambience24z9338

March 28, 2015 at 2:03 pm

That’s a nice video. I’m going to try the pull up bar as well.

• GlitterSteph

March 28, 2015 at 3:34 pm

My old studio used to teach it was ok to kick into it. So I did. My new studio won’t let you. I feel like I took 10 steps back. And it’s very frustrating. I am also doing pole crunches and leg lifts but it’s very frustrating and I’ve been doing pole for a year and feel like I will never be passed the beginner stage. I take classes 4 times a week plus these lessons. It’s quite disheartening but I know once we have the strength and nail it it will be beautiful and will work out for the better in the end. That’s the hope anyways lol

• Claire Moon

March 28, 2015 at 3:46 pm

I’m guessing by your post that my response won’t be what you want to here. I know you’re frustrated; I am too! And I’ve been trying to invert with consistent quality for almost a year and I haven’t gotten there! I’m in shape as well so please just be patient with yourself. I agree with others in the thread who are telling you to continue what you’re a doing!

It took me a while to realize that these things do take time. It takes time to increase strength in large way. When I say time I mean several months to years. Everyone is different, and as hard as you’re working I would expect to see changes and improvement after three months, but no one goes from 0-60. It sounds like you are doing amazing!

Page 1 of 3