StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions inverting is frustrating

• lilpolevix3n

March 28, 2015 at 7:32 pm

I totally understand you’re frustration! I remember trying to invert frm the ground and I couldn’t breath, because I have an ” extremely curvy” top side. And I have zero ab strenght! However I do like your idea of looking back and pole ab crunches! I do feel that you should continue doing what you are doing, I think it will work for you. And you are inspiring me to do all the things you mentioned to get better and stronger at pole

• Lucca Valentine

March 29, 2015 at 1:28 am

If it is a pivot moment like jivete mentioned and not a strength issue, something that really helps a lot of people is to invert with their back towards the mirror and as they try and tip, look at themselves in the mirror. This is what helped me get into chopper the first time for sure. You mentioned people telling you to look backwards, so I’m sorry if you’ve heard this tip too! And I agree with pheonix hunter on the pole tuck/crunches being the most effective exercise. I’ve always heard you want to be able to do at least 5 of those continuously/not touching the ground before attempting to invert, which is pretty accurate in my experience. So if you can do that, then strength might not be your issue like jivete mentioned

• georgiadev922663

March 29, 2015 at 10:28 am

are you trying both sides? I can easily invert with my left side but I still can’t invert properly with my right side..

• Veena

Administrator
    March 29, 2015 at 1:04 pm

This video can also be found in the Veena’s Tips section of the lessons, but it’s a great one for helping you understand inverting and proper body placement. I thought of this video because you mentioned placing the hands low, which is a common mistake. 🙂 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJ3V_2DsxgE

• chitowngal

March 29, 2015 at 3:08 pm

I’m tall like you too (6’2″) and found that it was my lack of arm strength and lower abs that were killing me. For the arms: I always remember my teacher telling me to drive the pole into the ground the whole time. So, biceps in right angles. For lower abs, I practice plows a lot. Starting from doing them with legs straight up and plow back with an strength (not momentum). Then trying them from all the way lying down, up and over. It took me 9 months to invert safely and comfortably.

• ambience24z9338

April 1, 2015 at 1:42 pm

Thanks for the explanation of the tailbone position. 😉

• Lyrael924

April 3, 2015 at 3:52 pm

If you have a pull-up bar at home, I highly recommend the knees-to-elbows Crossfit exercise. In general, I am not a Crossfit fan, but this exercise really helped me to figure out the “tip” motion. Disclaimer: you have to do it in a really controlled way, or you will damage yourself in the same way that you would if you did a jumping invert. I had some strength, but couldn’t figure out the “tip.” I did this exercise, and it really helped me to mentally process the motion I needed to get my V-invert and to control my basic invert.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqOgtFcqWbE

• ptspole

April 5, 2015 at 12:15 am

Lots of great tips! It took me about 6 months of pole 1-3 times a week before I got my dead lift inverted V. After I started trying, which was about a year into my pole journey (I like to think of it as “my pole journey” to keep me away from comparing myself to women 15 years my junior with gymnastics background……). Then a few more months and taking more classes every week to make it consistent and nice-looking. However. Now when I have it and I can also get my crotch very close to the pole when going from the V to inverted crucifix, other moves are coming a lot easier. Outside leg hang, inside leg flatline, hiphold, Jade etc. After all the practice I’m so strong that it now works on my favor. If you are not strong enough for inverts, you may get problems with back muscles, obliques, intercostal muscles etc. So even if it’s super frustrating, the slower, consistent development of strength will get you there the best. I almost gave up a few times over the time it took me to get the invert, but I’m even more proud of myself now!

• Beccaf87

April 6, 2015 at 8:08 am

I have issue with my getting my hips up for inverted V too. I also think it has to do with my tight leg muscles. I was just looking through the inverting videos here and realized I was taught tuck, inverted V/chopper, and THEN basic invert. I was surprised when I had an easier time with the basic than the V/chopper. I also didn’t realize it was OK to step into the inverts. My instructor was having us deadlift into them. Maybe trying some variations or different inverts would be helpful?

• kittyface

April 6, 2015 at 6:23 pm

Just wanted to say that I empathize. It took me a year of dancing 3-4 times a week before I could do a basic invert – a ridiculously messy one, with a huge kick, hooking my leg around the pole early, and hauling my butt up with the hooked leg =P Granted, I wasn’t doing any strength training on top of that, so it will probably come to you sooner than it did to me, especially if you’re coming into pole dancing with some upper body strength already there (I started from zero). It sounds like you’re doing the right things, so keep at it and don’t get discouraged 🙂

• Serzi

April 6, 2015 at 9:11 pm

I can’t be sure what you’re doing without seeing it, but I am also a tall girl and I know a lot about the struggle with inverts. It may not be a matter of strength you are having issue with, but body awareness and trusting those long limbs to safely execute the move. I don’t recommend this but, in the beginning, my frustration with inverting led to a lot of basically throwing myself into it. lol I eventually got over my fear and began to trust myself more.

I have been off the pole for some time since I became a mother and have been doing what I call a “manual rebuild from the ground up”. I have had the greatest success by first positioning at the base of my pole as I would in an invert (Gemini/Scorpio/shoulder-mount/crucifix), getting used to that feeling again to the point of as comfortable as it gets, and then attempting to lift myself into one from a standing position when I’m ready. I’ve found my inverts have three parts when I do them without a kick-up: Grip, lift, and hook. It sounds so simple, but it really has more to it than words can fully describe. A lot goes on in those seconds with your muscles, breathing, positioning and it almost seems unique to your own body as far as what makes it right for you.

I understand your frustration with this. In my very first days of pole I became so discouraged because it seemed impossible for me, and then when I started again after having my daughter I couldn’t comprehend how I had ever felt comfortable inverting the way I used to. I will say, take your time and let it come to you naturally. Do not force an invert because it’s not a safe way to learn. Keep at it, keep trying, but resist the urge to throw yourself into it. If you are feeling that your hips are not lifting you into position correctly it may be partially due to the flexors, but I would say your core is more likely the culprit preventing you from getting up and over in the tuck. Strength may not be the issue, but rather that you are not used to the position so your core is not engaged properly.

Just my two cents, hope this helps.

• garynnnjb5232

April 9, 2015 at 11:20 pm

So whats the proper hand positioning?
    -i have long arms so its not possible for me to place my inside arm low by my neck/ear area. If i do my bicep comes off of the pole.
    -my inside arm is placed by arm, and my outside arm placed close above my inside arm.
    you all gave good advice.
    Huuuuff because of my body composition, nd height im at a disadvantage so ill have to keep working hard :). Small girls you got it lucky

• Lucca Valentine

April 10, 2015 at 12:21 am

Hmm tall/long arms shouldn’t affect that too much, is it possible you are wrapping your grip/wrapping your wrists around the pole/making “chicken wings”? It’s hard to know without a pic. Could be a shoulder flexibility issue? Not sure how tall you are but girls 6 foot plus/very long limbed invert from the usual placement (I think) you described, so that may not be the issue. If it’s possible, try to take a pic of your hand placement so we can give specific advice

• Serzi

April 10, 2015 at 10:27 am

What you described made no visual sense to me. I am almost 6′ tall, I am all arms and legs, and I haven’t a clue how being tall/having long-limbs alone is preventing you from inverting. Are you reaching too high or too low? Are you keeping your elbows pointed down and pulling yourself straight up? Dozens of other questions without seeing a picture or video, sorry, I wish I could help. 🙁

• Veena

Administrator
    April 10, 2015 at 11:02 am

Gary, height shouldn’t change arm placement, it sounds like you’re making a very common mistake and gripping too low?

This is how you grip for inverts Side Pole Hold https://www.studioveena.com/galleries/view/0a377ad0-85e2-11e1-adf5-12313d086a56.

You will find a a lot more help for inverts in the lessons. This video, includes 4 exercises every Poler should know, it’s also found in the Veena’s Tips lesson section, and may help clear things up! https://www.studioveena.com/videos/view/52462459-db10-473f-ab4a-646d0ac37250

Page 2 of 3