StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions newbie with a ton of questions

• newbie with a ton of questions

Posted by SassyLarissa on April 20, 2012 at 7:24 am

Hello… Everyone I'm totally new to this and I'm excited about starting my class in may but I was wondering if you all have any tips for me being a newbie wise?? How often do you all workout? Do you all know any work outs DVD's' that help with building strength, flexibility or any daily workouts that you all have come across? calluses? Eating healthy?? Any suggestions about poling in general? answer's will be greatly appreciated 🙂

SassyLarissa replied 12 years, 4 months ago 8 Members · 14 Replies
  • 14 Replies
  • SashaMae

April 20, 2012 at 8:32 am

Hello! You’re going to love it here. I work out almost everyday. Typically I do cardio 4-5 days a week. Running or a youtube workout to get the heart going (Tracy Anderson’s webisodes on youtube are amazing! I do the arms, butt and thighs 🙂 Then about 4-5 days a week I’m on the pole for at least an hour and a half (addicted 😉 always followed by a cool down and stretching session. I would highly HIGHLY recommend Veena’s lessons. She has loads of tips for starting up-strengthening, stretching etc! She is amazing. Calluses- yep. But you learn to love them along with the many bruises- or badges of honor\pole kisses you will recieve. Eating healthy- I am a huge fan of juicing organic fruits and veggies such as spinach, kale, pineapples, mangoes, papaya and grapes etc. I eat really healthy during thee week but I cheat on SUndays 😉 Enjoy your pole journey! You will never feel healthier, sexier, more confident or stronger.

• Dancing Paws

April 20, 2012 at 9:16 am

Veena is the best source to cover all those bases. A lot of girls here seem to pole every couple of days (you shouldn't do it everyday.) I am off my pole right now, but when I am on it, I do it every couple of days, and do hooping and bellydance on my off days. I also do stretching everyday and flexibility training every 2 days or so.

• Veena

Administrator
    April 20, 2012 at 9:24 am

Hi there, and welcome! SashaMae, has some great suggestions! Sensual is right, you shouldn't pole everyday as a beginner. If you're interested, the lessons here have strength, conditioning flexibility, routines, and even hooping! We're always here to help you if you have more questions. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_flower.gif

• HotelChick

April 20, 2012 at 9:28 am

Welcome! The best suggestion I can give you is to get Veena's lessons. She is a teacher  you can trust and her lessons cover everything you could  possibly want or need to know as a beginner. Strengthening/conditioning lessons that are geared towards pole in particular are imperative for a beginner. You can search the forums here for user recommended DVDs, but, for the price, you won't receive a better value or better training than you will get from Veena herself, IMO.

As far as how often you work out, that's really something your body will have to tell you, but start slow. An early injury can really hurt your pole progress. I am 40 and I work on my feet 80 hours per week. I own my business so protecting my back is critical. I work out on the pole once per week, typically for two hours, because that's what works with my schedule. In between pole practices, I do stretching and flexibility training whenever I have the opportunity. Many other members work out daily, but, after a year of poling, I'm progressing almost as quickly as them. Once a week is just what works for my body. It seems I progress best with tricks when my body is rested and well hydrated.  But, this is different for everyone. Take it easy while you discover what works best for you.

You're going to love it here! This is a very supportive community. Excited to watch your progress 🙂

• ShonaLancs

April 21, 2012 at 10:44 am

If you’re anything like me you’ll get addicted immediately amd spend most of your time researching pole moves on you tube. If so you will quickly become frustrated trying to find moves as everyone calls each move something different, so it’s sometimes difficult to pin point the video you want. With that in mind veenas lessons take that problem away-it’s all in one place-you see the move and find out how to do it. Even if u only get them for 1 month the strengthening exercises are invaluable, I wish I had done them before I polled (I didn’t know about SV when I started lessons) as it would have saved frustration and injury!
    Try not to overtrain at first as you need to build strength which takes time. Also, enjoy the journey, there is NO RUSH to advance, make sure you get your technique correct first time and this will help you out in the longterm. To get ahead of the game with knowledge check out my thread on inverting there is a LOT of excellent advice from loads of members on it 🙂

• SassyLarissa

April 21, 2012 at 1:47 pm

Thanks for all your advice I really appreciate it and I think I'm going to stick with paying the $20 here I'm glad and I will  make videos on my progress. You guys are so friendly Thanks again so much 🙂

• TabyPoleDiva

June 9, 2012 at 10:17 pm

Hi all, I am new to this site and loving it. I am new to pole dancing (starting level 2 pole class at a studio in Atlanta this week) and I received my new x-pole this weekend and can’t wait to get it installed. I am installing it in my basement which is unfinished and my floor is concrete. I would like to put some type of (temporary) flooring down but now sure what or how much space is needed to create my pole/dance space. How much space should I allocate for my pole/dance space and what would be the best temporary floor covering to use? Suggestions are greatly appreciated!

• Schtoffen

June 10, 2012 at 6:37 am

I do a couple of hours on the pole twice a week the a long session at the weekend. Splits training every day and a few hours hooping a couple of nights a week. I eat carbs like it's going out of style 🙂 If you're working out you need fuel!! It's important not to pole every day as you need time for your muscles to heal and bruises to go down… otherwise you'll just keep getting injured! Good luck!

• Dancing Paws

June 10, 2012 at 10:05 am

Lyme Lyte made a really cool floor in her pole room. Contact her. Look at her videos too. You can see it in them.

• TabyPoleDiva

June 10, 2012 at 4:43 pm

Thanks https://www.studioveena.com/users/view/4d39f85b-a244-4a56-88c0-768b0ac37250 do you have the link to her videos or her email address? I am new to the site and discussion boards and not sure how to get her contact information. Thank you!

• Dancing Paws

June 10, 2012 at 5:14 pm

PMed ya!

• TabyPoleDiva

June 10, 2012 at 5:59 pm

Thank you very much sensualscimitar!