StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions pole fitness affecting jobs?

• pole fitness affecting jobs?

Posted by JennyBacardi on August 13, 2012 at 1:44 pm

Hi Everyone

Like most of the pole fitness community I have pictures of my pole fitness accomplishments. Up to now I have never been worried it would affect my work if my boss came to look at my profile page. I am signing up to take a course to be able to work in a day care and I was wondering if it is a job that could be affected by my pole fitness. Should I take down my pictured? or keep them and see what happens?

Thanks 🙂

JennyBacardi replied 12 years, 1 month ago 12 Members · 13 Replies
  • 13 Replies
  • Krissykiki

August 13, 2012 at 2:15 pm

I run into this a lot too. For the most part I don't post any pole photos onto my personal facebook page. I created a seperate pole page and invited the friends who like to see my pole acomplishments. sometimes I will post the occasional street poling shot on my FB but I always worry. I'd like to hear what others do as well.

• Wiley

August 13, 2012 at 2:17 pm

If you're talking about profiles like facebook, then it may not be a bad idea to take it down.  Not necessarily delete it, but just change the picture and make your profile private.  Even better, change your privacy settings so you're not searchable at all, but I hear that some places can still find you even if you block them.  Try to do a google search of yourself and see what also comes up.  I looked up myself on google images and found random (and really sloppy) pictures of me on flickr. 

Unfortunately, most places may claim to be open-minded but still find pole fitness not very socially acceptable.  I am applying for nursing jobs, so I'm being pretty careful in preventing anything "weird" from coming up.  I'm assuming that I'm not searchable on studioveena so I kept everything up.  Good luck!  Once you get the job, it may be okay to share your pole pictures publicly.

• megan12

August 13, 2012 at 2:20 pm

I’m a nurse and I’m friends with lots of my co-workers on facebook. I post lots of pole stuff and all my colleagues have been super supportive. We joke about it and they love to see my photos.

I guess health care professionals are an odd breed because we talk about some quite taboo topics at work. So pole dance seems tame in comparison 🙂

• Danielle Tillie

August 13, 2012 at 2:25 pm

It is unfortunately something we still have to deal with. It can be very individualized. As in, will this particular potential boss care? You can't know that ahead of time. I don't think any one industry has more of a prejudice against pole than any other, but ones that involve children tend to stay on the cautious sceptical side. Having a separate pole facebook is one way to keep your personal pole life hidden from your professional one. If you'd like to keep your photos on your facebook, you might want to be forthcoming with the potential boss. Bring up the subject first so that you can explain it on your own terms instead of them scoping you out and finding it on their own as a surprise. If you hide it from them, but leave it out in the open elsewhere, they may get an instant negative feeling. If you bring it up as something that you feel should be discussed and explain it rather matter-of-fact, hopefully they will see it for what it really is, instead of the stigma. They may accept it, or ask that you keep it to yourself in front of the children and parents, obviously, or they may dismiss you entirely so as not to risk potential parental confrontation. It will be entirely up to them at that point.

I guess what I'm saying is, it is always a risk. Do you want to take that risk so that you know you're working for an open and accepting boss or company? Or do you want to avoid the risk altogether? If it were me, I'd come out and talk about it. If I'm not to be accepted for who I am, ALL of me, then maybe I don't want to work there anyway. But see that's just me and how I am! You can choose to go the cautious route too. 

• JennyBacardi

August 13, 2012 at 2:33 pm

thank you all so much for the great feedback

• tangenttothepole

August 14, 2012 at 4:49 am

I’m a public school teacher. I keep everything pole completely separate on fb. I even try not to post my face in pole pix even tho it’s on my separate pole page. Some might find that overly cautious but It’s not necessarily the admin thats a prob. There are always angry parents that will find anything wrong with the teacher or school instead of trying to encourage or help their child. Especially as a non tenured teacher I can’t take that risk. I was told by a principal once that he didn’t care abiuy my poling and understands, but if it was easily accessible info on the web(like in a google search) he wouldn’t hire me.

Good luck!

• Prncsopowr

August 14, 2012 at 9:55 am

I also work for the school system, except as an occupational therapist.  Do people at work know that I pole?  Yes.  I used to keep it a secret, but I got tired of that.  However, I am extremely cautious about it showing up on the internet in terms of pictures or just being out there.  The studio where I teach doesn't have bios of the teachers for just that reason.  I teach kangoo jumps in addiiton to pole and I am even careful about saying that to parents as their follow-up question is: where?  I figure the last thing I need is a parent calling into question my professionalism simply because of the fitness industry I participate in.  Am I ashamed of it?  No.  I know there is nothing wrong with it.  However, it just isn't worth the stress to me to have to deal with it with parents.

• minicoopergrl

August 14, 2012 at 3:42 pm

Its a double edged sword.  My boss knows and most of America knows that I pole.  Im very proud about what I do and im very happy I have a job where my boss is totally cool with it.  Shes even encouraged me to go to NY and take a class with Steven (shes crazy obssessed with him).  

But then again I had thought about switching jobs/careers.  I have this fear that I pretty much screwed myself over from getting a new job due to my appearance on AGT.  My personal FB is private and blocked off from being searched but that doesnt stop someone from googling my name. I know whats out there and I just have to face the music when I reach that path.  

When/If I have a opportunity to get a new job, and they ask about anything they could find on Google, im gonna be honest and straight forward.  Id rather them know from the horses mouth instead of finding out on thier own and making thier own conclusions. 

• MrsNaughtywed

August 14, 2012 at 3:56 pm

Yes, pole fitness can affect your job! It's sad and it can.. Being someone who also works with children, be careful! Make sure that both lives are separate. I've done my do diligence and from personal experience, you have the right to a private life if you have shown you have tried on your part to keep both lives separate. With that said, if anything should occur, you have the right to sue their ass as a violation of your human rights and it's major discrimination. I would look up your rights in your country because most countries have literature stating you have the freedom of association, especially in Canada. I've made it very clear about my past in my workplace and I also made it very clear I know my rights. I doubt anyone would want to try shit with me. I'll sue their asses off. :p 

• dustbunny

August 14, 2012 at 4:12 pm

It's unforetunate but it does happen.  I could not get a job for a long time, and although I have no proof that pole dancing stuff on my facebook page was the cause, less than a month after I started a separate facebook page for poledancing and moved all my pics/vids over I got a job!  Employers definitely search for candidates on social media sites to see what kind of person you really are.

• OzarkSiren

August 14, 2012 at 11:50 pm

Very good topic. My twins are graduating college this Fall and they are being told to shut down their FB pages while job shopping. This topic is being dicussed in College.  I had a friend who just lost out during a job interview due to the partying pictures he had on his FB Page. They told him straight up why he did not get the job.  Depends on the Company you interview with.

I am an RN but work for a large Pharma Company. My Boss is really really really Religious and judgmental and no way would I want him to know anything I do because yes I do believe it would cause me problems. I do not have anyone from my work on my FB page and I have my security set tight. Too many tattle tales who like to run to the Boss so I just make a rule about coworkers at my main job. I keep my tattos, hobbies, spirituality, love of wine drinking, relationship status away from work. Less is best at my place of work.   Love you all !!!

• PippiParnasse

August 16, 2012 at 6:11 am

Most potential bosses/hirers are open-minded enough to say “that’s cool” or at least “that’s your business.” BUT depending on the industry the concern is more “what will the parents/clients/congregation/partners/audience think?” Because most people will be cool, but it only takes one screwball that they don’t have control over (ie can’t fire) to make drama for everyone.

So think about it from that perspective and either hide whatever might raise eyebrows or be prepared to explain to them how you’ll handle the situation if it comes up.