StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions protein!

• protein!

Posted by Nina ODay on May 20, 2015 at 4:23 am

I know with pole i will be building muscle and muscles need protein. I was wanting to get a protein/recovery shake and i am looking for suggestions??? The one i normally use is way too expensive right now

Nina ODay replied 9 years, 5 months ago 12 Members · 27 Replies
  • 27 Replies
  • TatianaSD

May 20, 2015 at 9:04 am

Hi Nina….I use Quest Protein Shake…Peanut Butter flavor is my fave…I pay $35.00 at Vitamin Shoppe, and sometime even less with online coupons, you just have to search for them….but I love the flavor…vanilla and chocolate are good too!! Also, their protein bars are delish, is you don’t have time to make the shake :).

• Veena

Administrator
    May 20, 2015 at 9:23 am

Depending on how active you really are often you probably don’t need something as expensive at a supplement! Unless you’re an athlete that works out for hours and hours a day you can get the protien you need from food. 😊 This site has a bunch of ideas! http://greatist.com/health/high-protein-snacks-portable

So If you can, buy some protein powder to have around just incase you need a quick shake or somthing but try and get most of it from your food. With a little planning you can make many of the post workout snacks ahead of time.

• Sabina Rex

May 20, 2015 at 5:05 pm

I use soy powder (14 g whole protein/serving) I get it at wegmans for less than 20 dollars and it lasts a few months. Then I take two servings of Keifer (turkish yogurt you can get it anywhere giant, shoppers, etc.) (22g whole protein/serving). Then take 1 cup soy milk (8 g whole protein/serving). Then 1tbsp vanilla. Combined thats 44g whole protein. Drink two of those per day you’ll gain massive muscle weight if you’re also working out and eating a caloric surplus (more calories than you need to maintain weight). Also get whole protein from grains like quiona instead of white rice. (I’m a vegetarian. Would be vegan if not for Keifer).

• skramamme

May 20, 2015 at 5:06 pm

I often use whey protein because I can’t afford to eat the amount of protein I really need. I especially use it when I’m doing a lot of weight lifting or crossfit- I have even competed in powerlifting before (deadlifted 102.5kg when I weighed 50kg).
    But even body weight exercises can promote muscle growth and require protein and, if for whatever reason you don’t get enough protein in your diet, it can be helpful but I find a simple whey protein isolate to be sufficient.

• Sabina Rex

May 20, 2015 at 5:07 pm

Its cheaper to make and doesn’t have all of the added sugars and garbage that are in most commercial protein supplements.

• Sabina Rex

May 20, 2015 at 5:13 pm

Oh and I also add 2 tbsp of milled flax seed (which you can also get anywhere. it contains lots omega fatty acids and good fats that help the body metabolize all that protein. How could I forget the flax!?

• Rose2011

May 20, 2015 at 5:41 pm

I have had a problem with soy. So I wanted one without soy and organic. I found one called Phood. The vanilla and chocolate/carmel is pretty good.

• Strawberrysmoothie

May 20, 2015 at 5:57 pm

I can also suggest chia seeds they are very high in protein, added to greek yoghurt with some honey you have probably (though not sure) a much protein as a protein drink. Also soy protein is rank. I can recommend also Syntrax Nectar, tastes great, is gluten free, diary free and I think sugar free. I drank the stuff for years. Here’s some info on chia seeds http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/natural-health/health-benefits-of-chia-seeds/

• catmoves2718

May 20, 2015 at 8:50 pm

I use a protein called Orgain–this reminds me I have packets of Phood in the kitchen waiting to be tried. The Orgain chocolate is okay mixed with just water, the vanilla is good in smoothies with greens and fruit but I think too sweet on its own.

That said, you really can get all the protein you need from food. Most Americans who eat meat, dairy, and eggs get more protein than they really need. Even if you’re vegetarian or vegan and an athlete, protein supplements aren’t necessary to get enough protein. Before you add a supplement, you might try figuring out what your protein needs realistically are and then tracking your protein intake for a week or two, you may find that you are meeting or even exceeding your protein needs.

• catmoves2718

May 20, 2015 at 8:53 pm

Also, if you try straight soy protein, or a mix that is heavy in soy protein I would recommend getting a small package at first. I can eat things like soybeans and tofu, but I have difficulty digesting isolated soy proteins, it’s not pleasant, for me or people around me.

• skramamme

May 20, 2015 at 9:15 pm

Personally speaking I know I don’t eat enough protein- I am not a big fan of eggs and only use dairy in my cups of tea (I don’t eat cereal) and the odd bit of grated parmesan on my pasta.
    I rarely eat chicken, let alone fish or read meat because it’s too expensive- I make dahl sometimes, which is a good source of protein, but my daughter doesn’t like it so I don’t make it that often.
    The other way I get protein is by using (free range) chicken mince for pasta sauces, but I have to make it stretch over a lot of meals, so the amount of mince is far outweighed by the tins of diced tomatoes I use to bulk it up with.
    Generally speaking all of our meals are stretched with bulking foods like rice or pasta simply to try and reduce the cost.

• Tigerschic041721

May 20, 2015 at 9:19 pm

Nina what goal(s) are you hoping to acheive by supplementing with protein and do you have any diet/nutrition requirements? I ask because everyone is different in these areas and therefore may be more happy with different products. My husband has started a small nutrition store and while I’m sure we could ship/get whatever you need I would mostly love to help since I am very conscious of nutrition for myself and have worked at several nutrition stores over the years…with that said I’m an advocate of as much whole food nutrition as possible but I know supplements can be very helpful in a pinch or for certain lifestyles. Anyway feel free to pm if you’d like not sure if public may be too personal but here works too 🙂

• Sabina Rex

May 20, 2015 at 9:20 pm

I purposefully exceed my protein needs because I am trying to gain weight and because not all proteins are whole proteins. A whole protein contains all 9 essential amino acids, which are the building blocks of protein. Some proteins are incomplete, which is why most grains inlc bread or pasta are not considered a source of protein as they do not contain all amino acids. Without supplements I make myself, my otherwise vegan diet consists mainly of fruits and vegetables, grains, beans, soy product and for an athlete would be incomplete. Also soy is manna from heaven when prepared right 🙂

• catmoves2718

May 20, 2015 at 9:45 pm

The idea that a food or meal need to be “complete” (i.e. contain all 9 amino acids) to be used by the body is *seriously out of date*. You do not need get all 9 essential amino acids from one food, or even one meal for your body to utilize the protein. All you need to do is eat a variety of foods on a regular basis and your body will take care of itself. For example, people used to recommend eating beans and rice together, because they complement each other and form a “complete” protein. What we now know is that you can eat the beans in one meal, and the rice in another, and your body will combine the amino acids as it needs them. For a more thorough explanation from a registered dietician who specializes in plant based diets, please see:

http://www.theveganrd.com/plant-protein-a-vegan-nutrition-primer

This article also includes a nice guide to calculating your protein needs, including some information specific to vegan diets, towards the bottom.

As a final note, if you are vegan or considering becoming vegan I highly recommend the book Vegan for Life, as it contains a lot of current, research based information on vegan nutrition. The book was written by two registered dieticians who happen to be vegan.

• Nina ODay

May 20, 2015 at 10:03 pm

wow ladies thanks for all the responses and info. I really appreciate it. @Tigerschic041721 i realy want to tone and build lean muscle. I wasnt sure if I was taking in enough protein diet wise. Now that I really think about it I do eat a lot of eggs, dont drink milk really, i eat a lot of chicken, salmon, meat that is usually beef, bison(healthier), lamb, and pork. I definitely need more fruits and veggies. To help fill in gaps I normally drink a nutrition shake called Shakeology by beachbody. Its full of superfoods and stuff but at $100(and thats with my discount) a bag I’m going to have to wait to use that whenever i go back to work…one day. lol i love being a SAHM. i was looking for something similar to that. I can attach the label to show your hubby if he wants to see if he knows of something similar

Page 1 of 2