StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions what would you think?

• what would you think?

Posted by Sam I am on March 23, 2011 at 4:03 pm

What  would you think if you saw a studio owner post this comment?

The poles she refers to are X-poles:

"Removables r WRONG 4 acropole. Trying 2 learn 4m some1 that only has a skinny min. of self taught pole/a wkend certifcation is a BAD IDEA.  GDS =15 +yrs experience: saftey, coaching, technique & acropole. Y risk NEVER walking again/having POOR instruction/FAILING on YOUR FACE??? Those poles are gr8 when u 1st get them UNTIL u trust them! Cause Paralysis is Gr8!

Mary Ellyn replied 13 years, 6 months ago 13 Members · 16 Replies
  • 16 Replies
  • PoleKitten87

March 23, 2011 at 4:09 pm

I would think I'm damn glad I got out of there when I did! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_wink.gif

• heathalynne

March 23, 2011 at 4:50 pm

Very unprofessional. Sounds like she’s talking about X-Pole fall outs and down talking teachers with certifications. I sooo wanna go to her studio now! Lol

I thought an X-Pole never fully fell out, only Lil Mynx?

• amy

March 23, 2011 at 5:44 pm

Judging content alone, I would think she’s had a personal experience with one of them coming down. Any pole can fall if not put up properly.

• chemgoddess1

March 23, 2011 at 6:38 pm

If they are actually performing ACRO POLE then I would not trust any removable pole…period.  I have seen Pantera and also Mattcrobat move PS poles on some of their spins.  I doubt highly that it would be much different on an XPole….they a similar in design.

• PoleKitten87

March 23, 2011 at 7:23 pm

That studio owner posted that after a girl did a butterfly on an X-pole (an X-pole which has seen MUCH more advanced tricks than a butterfly). I wouldn't put a butterfly in the category of Acro pole, if by acro pole you're talking about the Chinese Acro Pole style. They've never performed that style there, nor are any of the people true Acro Pole performers.

Interesting how a girl I know who went there fell on her head/off the pole more than once during inversions due to instructors chatting instead of spotting. And that was on a permanent pole

• Runemist34

March 23, 2011 at 7:36 pm

Umm, if I saw a studio owner say this, I would be quite less inclined to go to that studio…not ONLY because she/he is badmouthing others and I consider this to be quite unprofessional (perhaps just say something like "In my opinion, ___ is the best because…"), but also because, and I'm sorry to sound like a snob, but…this is a rather atrocious attempt at spelling and grammar, and it took me far too long to figure out what was being said here.

If one is saying something from the background of being a studio owner, one should keep in mind that they are representing their business. Veena can spell, the lady who owned the pole place here could spell, and I know thousands of other people HERE that spell WAY better than this. I even know international students from my University who can spell better in english than this!

Sorry, sorry. Ugh, I just get all Grammar-Nazi on people like this.

I have a Lil' Minx pole, and never had an issue with mine. I'm careful and slow with it, and in turn, it has never moved an inch when I didn't want it to!

• kat pole princess

March 23, 2011 at 7:43 pm

very nice summary runemist!!!

• Madfelice

March 23, 2011 at 8:17 pm

I am with Runemist, there is no excuse for using that sort f grammar and spelling, especially when you are trying to promote yourself or your business, and there is also no excuse for that method of criticism of another establishment or product.

• Sam I am

March 23, 2011 at 9:22 pm

Runemist you are spot on!  I was lucky enough to be kicked out of this studio, best thing that could have ever happened for my pole growth.   I am always shocked by her unprofessional behavior.  Due to her advice I missed out on pole convention last year in DC she bad mouths other dancers and claims they are all strippers and unreliable.  She told me that she believed that the convention was a farce and we would loose all our money so believing my instructor of two years I did not attend :(:(  That post was sent to me via someone who still attends her studio and I was just blown away that an owner and promoter of heath, fitness, and well being would ever put something like that out for the world to see!

• Masked Loopy II

March 23, 2011 at 10:02 pm

I also saw this comment on FB.  It was in reference to the youtube video titled: "10 Best Pole Dance Falls." 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5IPHJG42kk

This person tends to use shorthand writing because she usually posts with her phone.  I think she has had bad personal experience with removable poles and is entitled to her opinion.  I take it with a grain of salt.  I'm not sure that she was trying to badmouth any other instructor in particular.  However, it might have been in better form not to put down others' instruction and just simply state what she offered.

• ShellyBelly

March 23, 2011 at 10:38 pm

I totally agree with the people above. It took me so long to actually finish reading this and when I finally did, I couldn’t even comprehend it lol! So my thought of the studio/instructor- VERY unprofessional. Based on the spelling and grammar alone, I wouldn’t really want to go there.

• tarah

March 24, 2011 at 12:52 am

first of all, this post makes NO sense at all.  even if she was using her phone she still could have done a better job with whatever it was she was trying to say.  and that is absolutely ridiculous to refer to a butterfly as acropole!  polekitten, you had the right idea – get out of there!!!!!

• Sam I am

March 24, 2011 at 7:02 am

Masked Loopy  I was just shocked on the unprofessional manner. I will say also that you can get hurt on ANY pole. And infact I can not tell you how many coutless times at that studio I cut myself on one of the screws or on the floors that were coming apart. I can only speak from my experince. I have not been a member since August of 10 so those issue may be fixed (I hope at least) I have been to several other studio and have met some wonderful people. I don't feel that any studio should bad mouth other instructors or other studios….pole needs to grown and the only way that will happen is if we all support each other<3

• PoleKitten87

March 24, 2011 at 8:07 am

Loopy – I mentioned the butterfly thing, because I know someone who got called out twice for doing a butterfly on an X-pole outside the studio (and when I attended, I was told X-poles were horrible to even consider because they're removable), AND for even attending another studio in another state. And it conveniently was mentioned after those events.

—–

Anyway, unprofessionalism was part of the reason I left too. Trying to decipher text speak about business is not worth it. Emails were sent to me concerning my membership there in the same type of text speak.

Getting hurt doing pole? I too cut myself on the pole mounting screws and got heels caught in the flooring that came apart. Couldn't tell you the last time I had been spotted during a trick. And yes I agree, anyone can get hurt on any pole, whether it be removable or permanent.

Bad mouthing instructors who may have done weekend certification courses or have self-taught isn't supportive. Some of the best professionals out there in the pole world taught themselves. Everyone has opinions on styles of poles they like – I like PS permanents and Xpole removables and wouldn't consider any others. But criticizing someone's choice of learning/certifications is out of line.

I almost quit pole because of this kind of stuff. Luckily I found a few other studios who were professional, friendly, and very supportive and it reignited my love of pole and I've grown tremendously on my own (well, with Sam I Am, and workshops with Karol, and pole jams with NC studios!) 🙂

• Veena

Administrator
    March 24, 2011 at 8:23 am

If anyone is worried about x poles you shouldn't be, they are great! Its all I use, in every video I make and every lesson (except my very first vids) I use x poles. I have 7 or 8 now. When installed right they are VERY secure. I have never had an x pole fall…BUT I have had my PERMANENT PS pole fall! ANY pole can fall if not installed properly. 

Page 1 of 2