StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions yoga dvd suggestions pleeeease

• yoga dvd suggestions pleeeease

Posted by vamp79 on January 5, 2011 at 7:27 am

Hi everyone,
    I have noticed that a few members here have mentioned yoga poses and figured i could get good advice on this. I want to incorporate yoga to my schedule but dont have any time to go to any classes. The next best thing would be to get a dvd but I am having the worst time deciding on one. I already own the p90x one but find it too long. I can only stand to do it once in a while….. Please let me knpw which ones you guys have triedvand loved. Thanks for all the help!

vamp79 replied 13 years, 8 months ago 15 Members · 33 Replies
  • 33 Replies
  • EVamp83

January 5, 2011 at 8:19 am

I can't be of too many help, I'm afraid. But I think there are some good yoga channels on YouTube too. Maybe someone else can recommend some?

• vamp79

January 5, 2011 at 4:11 pm

I’m not very patient with youtube but that might be my best bet until I can do more research on the different dvds out there. Thanks!

• shellypoles

January 6, 2011 at 12:42 am

I have only tried the videos from Brian Kest and they were really good.  Not sure what your goals are with it, but If you strive for more flexibility a class with a good teacher will push you unlike a video.  Never the less, to learn the poses alone a video is great. 

• FreeTheSun

January 6, 2011 at 1:21 am

Yogatoday.com has some good routines. They also have lots of free classes you can get through itunes.

Eion Finn has quite the following as well. His 'happy hips' one is good for opening the hips.

• vamp79

January 6, 2011 at 7:15 am

shellypoles- I’m looking to improve my strength even more than flexibility. Trying to hold my legs up while spinning is very hard for me and I know that yoga will help with that. Thanks for the suggestion, I will look him up as soon as I get home today : )

• vamp79

January 6, 2011 at 7:18 am

freethesun – great site! I browsed a bit and loved it, can’t wait to really look around. Thanks!

• shellypoles

January 6, 2011 at 11:44 am

Brian Kest's videos might be good for you then, they are power yoga- a bonus is that he is nice to look at 🙂

• Angel1201

January 6, 2011 at 6:59 pm

I love Rodney Yee.  His videos are very relaxing yet challenging.  The camera angles are great for following along.

• monica kay

January 6, 2011 at 7:43 pm

Trudy Stiler (sting's wife) has a great series of dvd's out.

I have her "Warrior Yoga" dvd and it's my fav.  I plan on getting her dvd for ballet bar too…

• Maria Joao

January 7, 2011 at 4:11 am

yogatoday.com

dashama – online vids and 30 day yoga challenge

• vamp79

January 7, 2011 at 7:53 am

I have a quick question for those of you that use yogatoday.com. Are the lessons taught for one pose at a time or are they like a full workout session? I think I will benefit from the lessons there, thanks for the suggestion ladies!

• FreeTheSun

January 7, 2011 at 11:46 pm

they're taught as sequences although if you do the beginner ones they are pretty good at explaining in depth, and you can pause and rewind if you're still unsure.

• EmViVi

January 8, 2011 at 1:03 am

My favorite general yoga is "Ali MacGraw – Yoga Mind & Body".  It's kind of an old one, from the early 90s I think, but it finds its way into my dvd player at least twice a week.  If you want a more beginner-ish one try "Hemalaya's Yoga for Young Bodies" which has 3 routines on it.  For a more intermediate challenge I like "Hemalaya's Yoga for Urban Living" but if you're not used to yoga take it easy with this one at first(I ended up hurting my back the first time I tried it with too much enthusiasm).  Hope that helps!

• Layla Duvay

January 8, 2011 at 8:01 am

You know what? That Ali McGraw one IS really good. I still have it on VHS and it still does the trick.

• vamp79

January 8, 2011 at 8:59 am

Perfect!  Another one to look up : ).  I have a pole class in an hour and then coming back home to do my homework on all these yoga dvds.  Can't wait to order one and start yoga at least twice a week.

Page 1 of 3