StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Anyone else really weak when starting out?

• Anyone else really weak when starting out?

Posted by Nat Cat on September 9, 2016 at 7:25 pm

I’m 26 and have scoliosis and fibromyalgia. I got my X-pole a few months ago to start getting stronger and have fun at the same time. Unfortunately, I am still not seeing much improvement at all in flexibility or strength. How long does it typically take to gain the strength to start doing the fun moves? I do it about 3x a week for 1.5 hours each time btw. Right now I just feel weak and awkward 🙁

ghostlyy replied 7 years, 7 months ago 7 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • Veena

Administrator
    September 9, 2016 at 8:26 pm

HI! It’s very normal to feel weak when first learning, you’re holding up all of your body weight for most moves! What do you do when you practice? Do you have a plan when you train? I see you have the lessons, are you using the Take off program or just picking random moves? PS feeling awkward is normal too when learning anything new, most of us have been there before!!!

• Nat Cat

September 9, 2016 at 10:12 pm

I’ve been using the take off program but I admit that I skip through some of them when I cannot do them yet and get discouraged to go back to them. I end up doing the same things pretty much every time which include a short warm-up, basic pole holds, rows, basic climbs. I also have some issues with my pelvis popping on one side so a lot of the legwork and even some of the floor workouts are hard for me. I don’t want to give up, I just don’t see much of a change so far and I’ve had my pole up and in use for about 6 months. Could it have anything to do with the fact that I started out on static mode and have been using it on that every day?

• Nat Cat

September 9, 2016 at 10:16 pm

*Spin mode, not static

• Veena

Administrator
    September 9, 2016 at 11:20 pm

Using static or spin won’t hinder progress as far as strength goes, the only real challenge if using only spin pole is learning timing needed for static spins.

Here are some things to check if you think you’re not making progress:

Have you written down, as in tracked your daily progress. This means writing out sets and reps and you can include notes on how you felt, tired, strong, sad, happy and so on. Taking photos and video also are extremely helpful. If you’re not tracking, then you really tend to forget how far you’ve come. Often people think they’ve done nothing but looking back tells the real story and it’s encouraging.

Don’t skip exercises unless you are physically unable, its painful in a way that is sharp, stabbing or sudden. Know that it’s normal to feel muscle burn and have them feel weak or shaky, that’s a good thing! It’s not expected that you’re able to do every exercise in the program fully or complete every set and rep. That’s why you track what you could do, then the next time aim for 1 or 2 more.

Try adding in some extra conditioning for the lower body if you feel the pelvic area is a problem. These would be helpful. The Hover https://www.studioveena.com/lessons/view/56c9381b-b644-49b2-9a88-0d5dac110003
    The Clamshell https://www.studioveena.com/lessons/view/55facf92-945c-448e-ae98-6c630a9aa0eb
    Hips and glutes routine https://www.studioveena.com/lessons/view/56c937f1-f7a0-4f9c-8e99-24dbac110003
    The switch https://www.studioveena.com/lessons/view/4df4be6f-3160-46c9-9e73-67a10ac37250
    Hip flexor lift https://www.studioveena.com/lessons/view/4e1af31f-dc20-4e77-bd07-301c0ac37250
    Booty squeeze https://www.studioveena.com/lessons/view/4e1d9e69-f62c-4b3e-81b1-4b380ac37250

Last don’t forget to eat well, and eat after you have a practice session! The body needs food so it can begin the recovery process.

I hope these tips help!!

• Claire Moon

September 10, 2016 at 9:53 pm

YES. Haha. I started feeling strong in my shoulders and arms by 6-12 months? But there will always be moves that make you feel weak! Pole is hard! I’ve been doing it for almost 2.5 years and I’m just starting to feel like I can strongly engage my shoulders properly.

• hookedonpole

September 11, 2016 at 4:48 am

YUP! I started at 50 yrs old, so late start. Took a while to feel stronger and begin accomplishing things, slowly but surely. Have patience and know that no matter what you are doing, even if it seems slow, is building strength. Do a Happy Dance for each thing, even if it doesn’t seem big, IT IS! Have fun with it and realize working out is better than nothing. Having lessons is great and will give you a plan of action.

• Papillon

September 11, 2016 at 8:49 am

I had the same problem as you, I felt I was the weakest of my class and I couldn’t really hold my positions. I think that after around 7-8 months I slowly started to feel an improvement. I think practicing my Ayesha and holding my whole body upside down, gave me lots of strength in my arms. Don’t get discouraged, we all had the same issue 😉

• goshling

September 13, 2016 at 9:51 am

Keep at it! I’m also weakest in my class. I started 6 months ago, in class I’m on my 4th go round of level 1. Will I ever get to level 2? Maybe next year!
    There’s some excellent advice in the replies above, which I’ll also be making note of. I’m 45 & have multiple sclerosis, and I so I’m ok with making my own slow progress.
    I can see I’m slowly starting to get definition to my quads, lats, triceps, biceps. I’m a Myotherapist so I think I’m probably a bit more able to recognise these small improvements, and I bet you’ve improve more than you realise.
    Keep going along at your own pace.

• ghostlyy

September 28, 2016 at 12:03 am

I worked on pole for about a year and a half and saw great progression. I started off weak, no upper body strength, a little overweight. I kept at it and eventually, I began to see results. I could do some spins, I could do the Scorpio, etc, but nothing was still really strong, prolly cuz I didn’t pole with a plan, just randomly when I felt like it. Fast forward a couple years, Ive gained a lot of weight and am just now getting back to pole and I’ve found I’m in an even worse place than I was when I first started!
    However, I did have some muscle memory from doing it previously and I can kinda see improvement already in just a couple days. It takes practice, lots of it, but you can’t be scared to try new things. With pole, I often found learning one move would help me invariably in some way with another one, even if I didn’t nail it, just trying to learn. Keep at it, don’t be afraid to push yourself and strength will come!