StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Fear of inverts

• Fear of inverts

Posted by Butterfly0203 on September 22, 2016 at 2:35 pm

Hi I hope you can help me, I started pole a couple of months ago and love it. My teacher moved me to her intermediate class after 5 weeks because I am strong – I have no trouble climbing and can dead lift into an invert in a controlled way (I have other aerial experience). I was so excited to start inverting and when she first taught me inverted crucifix I was absolutely fine with it. I then learnt scorpio which I felt ok with with a spotter – but then she tried to teach me butterfly. I was absolutely terrified! Now I struggle to do a crucifix without fear. Does anyone have any advice for overcoming fear? I have just put up a pole at home and was thinking of doing Veena’s inverts program. Years ago I did trapeze and despite being strong and flexible and being able to make the poses look nice I never overcame the terror and had to give up which I’ll always regret, I don’t want to do the same with pole!

Rachel Osborne replied 7 years, 5 months ago 11 Members · 16 Replies
  • 16 Replies
  • Runemist34

September 22, 2016 at 5:19 pm

Hey there!
    Fear is actually pretty common with inverted moves, and the butterfly is a fairly advanced move with fewer contact points. Personally, I find the inverted crucifix terrifying, but I can still do laybacks just fine.
    Fear is, unfortunately, not necessarily something that will go away. It’s something you need to manage, and by working slowly with a spotter for a while, and then eventually with someone just watching you, and then in time, on your own, you can perhaps help to mitigate the overwhelming parts of your fear.
    Also, simply learning to do the moves slowly, with control, as well as learning ways to exit safely, can really help, because you must face your fear while in the move, and you will learn that the fear, as well as the move you are doing, will not harm you.
    It sounds a bit like you may be moving a bit too quickly- Scorpio to butterfly? There are a few things to learn in between those. And, if you found Scorpio good only with a spotter, I would say that you reached your comfort limit there. Working within that, and very slowly exploring that limit, will definitely help.
    For right now, maybe work on handstands, your inverted crucifix, and maybe the inverted thigh hold. There are so many other things to learn, and it may help you to get used to being upside down, and also, learn to manage the fear.
    Good luck!

• Catsanctuary177663

September 22, 2016 at 5:19 pm

My advice would be to go back to the beginner class and spend time learning the basics. You are so new and advanced so quickly. There is much more to pole than tricks. It takes time to learn the spins, grips,proper technique,and to condition your body for pole. I have done pole and started silks and it’s the same-starting over to build muscle memory takes time. Veena did a Periscope about fear. I am strong enough to do level 2 pole but spend a lot of time in level 1because i don’t want to half ass learn stuff just to say i did it, then move on. I want my spins and transitions to be pretty. I had a bad fall out of a superman 6 mos ago and now have fear. This is how i am addressing it. Don’t give up, pole is great!

• Cherished

September 22, 2016 at 5:40 pm

Veena’s lessons are awesome while I haven’t done her invert program all her conditioning tips I’ve used have been spot on, in addition when I’m iffy on a move pillows and grip aid help me feel secure enough to practise until I am strong and comfortable enough to carry it out.

• Butterfly0203

September 22, 2016 at 6:36 pm

Good advice thank you! When my teacher moved me up I was worried as I still hadn’t perfected spins but I think her reasoning was that she sees people progress quicker when they’re challenged more. I think I will go back to basics and I guess I can practice inverts from the floor to work on leg placements…

• Veena

Administrator
    September 22, 2016 at 7:48 pm

Hi Butterfly! Yes, the program for inverts would be helpful for sure! Also you might wanna check out this video on Fear! https://www.studioveena.com/videos/view/5632ba12-6de8-430c-bc75-1e2eac11006c You will find more helpful videos like the Fear video in the Veena’s tips lesson section. 🙂

• LatinPoler

September 22, 2016 at 10:46 pm

Hi Butterfly, I’m also afraid of being upside down. I’m OK with “horizontal” or “tilted” inverts like scorpio or superman, but terrified with “vertical” inverts like butterfly. My approach is that practice makes perfect (or progression). Practicing with a spotter or a mat will let your mind know that your body is capable of doing the trick, so eventually you will feel more comfortable. Also avoid practicing if you are feeling tired, inverts are demanding and you need to feel up to them. Grip aids and being familiar with quick exits can help too. Good luck!

• Queenofwands10009677

September 23, 2016 at 5:08 pm

It will go away with practice. I remember the first time my teacher was spotting me while i was in my first butterfly i was screaming and cursing like a two year old. Now i do starfishes (mostly) fearlessly. Don’t rush yourself but keep moving forward, and realize when your fears are unfounded. Even if you fall from a low to the ground butterfly (which you won’t) you’ll be fine.

• LatinPoler

September 29, 2016 at 11:47 pm

Just found this today… some more tips about conquering fear that may help: http://unitedpoleartists.com/2016/09/brave-3-steps-tame-pole-fear/

• Baudelaire

October 15, 2016 at 2:29 pm

Hi Butterfly0203,

Thank you for sharing your story. I had a bad fall from a windmill a few years ago, resulting in a concussion, and it’s been such a hard move to return to. Make sure your instructor understands your fear, and be honest with them. There are many moves between a scorpio and butterfly, and they are all building blocks. your instructor should be able to walk you through these safely acknowledging what elements make you feel unsafe. It took me a long time to return to the transition. I wrote about it here: https://melnutter.com/2016/02/28/turning-towards-fear/ ‎

I also found that learning how to fall really helped me get back on the pole. It’s a shame that beyond the “emergency exit – slide down the pole with your chin to your chest” is all that is really taught in terms of safety. Training falls and how to exit a move safely can really boost your confidence in trying without a spotter.
    https://melnutter.com/2016/04/04/what-happens-if-you-fall/ ‎

I hope you continue on your pole journey!

• Butterfly0203

October 15, 2016 at 5:25 pm

Thanks everyone, great article Baudelaire, great website in fact, I will be working my way through it! That’s such a good point about exits, the only one I have learnt is sliding down, it would be so useful to learn some other exits.

• Queenofwands10009677

October 16, 2016 at 2:21 pm

Curious what is a windmill?

• Baudelaire

October 17, 2016 at 4:43 am

A windmill is when you switch your body around the pole from a gemini to scorpio and in reverse. Unlike a like a leg switch through a pike where you change from outside to inside leg, in a windmill the same leg (your right or left) stays hooked while your body changes sides.
    It probably has many other names too!

• Queenofwands10009677

October 17, 2016 at 7:28 pm

Okay cool. thank you!

• woodwinked

October 18, 2016 at 9:28 am

Hi Butterfly!

I started pole recently and got moved up to Intermediate as well (skipping 1 term sort – of). i like the challenge of learning some harder tricks and it’s exciting to progress fast! BuI’ve tried the Butterfly and find that it’s a hit or miss thing :p that said, I am still planning to occasionally go for beginner classes to build up my confidence and to perfect the basic spins!

By the way, does anyone know if there’s a slightly different placement of the legs for the inside and outside leg hang? I have a secure outside leg hang and pike, but have problems with the switch to inside leg hang, because I find that my calves tend to be alot flatter against the pole, while I try to hook it with the feet pointing down (like the outside leg hang) but it seems alot more difficult?

• Amelia72

October 27, 2016 at 9:30 am

Have you been trying different grips in butterfly? I could only do it in a split grip,meaning when i couldn’t progress onto caterpillar… Elbow grip would be another option,as well as looking at the bent leg,knowing what is holding you up is always important!

Page 1 of 2