StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions First performance?

• First performance?

Posted by Wennajo on August 20, 2016 at 9:35 pm

Does anyone have any tips for my first pole and hoop performance?

I’ve got twelve weeks to prepare, and so far all I know are the songs I would like to dance to! I’m really struggling to think of combinations and floorwork to accompany pole and beginning to worry that I won’t be anywhere near good enough in twelve weeks time!!! I have only had 10 hours of group lessons and have had my own pole for less than a week but I used to be a ballet dancer before my first child, although seven years on my flexibility is definitely not up to scratch anymore!

Does anyone have any suggestions for combinations or transitions they enjoy that look beautiful? Any tips on how often I should be training and how long for? I’m starting 30 days to flexy today and I’m on day 4 of August Abs (a rest day) – should I be running the rest days together so that it’s an actual total rest day rather than just doing different exercises instead?

Sorry for all the questions but you all seem so super friendly and knowledgeable and I’m so desperate to improve and perform well 🙂

Krabbette replied 7 years, 8 months ago 3 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Wennajo

August 21, 2016 at 1:10 am

Some extra information, because reading that back it sounds incredibly vague 😛

It’s a 2 and a half minute gentle song so I’m looking for something acrobatic but flowing. My Mum will be watching so nothing sexy 😉 It’s a static pole set up in a local (and incredibly posh!) hotel. I’m not overly worried about hoop as I find it fairly easy but pole is a whole different story! Huge respect to you all – I am loving all your videos! 🙂

I have a 50mm at home but will be performing on a 45mm static. I am slightly concerned that my legs will find it more difficult to grip on the smaller pole if I’m used to the larger width but I am hoping to get some practice time on the smaller pole a few times before the show.

I can currently do all of the Beginner moves in the pole gallery (https://www.studioveena.com/galleries) as well as a few from the Intermediate section although I’m hoping that with twelve weeks and my own pole I can learn a lot more before the show 🙂

Intermediate:
    > basic invert
    > cross knee release
    > advanced plank
    > inverted crucifix
    > v invert
    > handstand

Does anyone have any suggestions? 🙂 Thank you very much in advance!

• LabCobra

August 21, 2016 at 9:14 am

Hi Wennajo,
    Congrats on getting ready for your first performance! Sounds really exciting.
    I don’t have any performance experience myself so I can’t give much insight about that aspect, just the training itself. First of, the rest days in Veenas programs come with little videos which typically state that you should only relax or foam roll etc – thus aligning the programs accordingly would be advisable.
    Concerning the switch from 50mm to 45mm poles you’re right that this might be tricky at first but you will really only have to squeeze a little tighter to get a good grip on the smaller diameter pole. That’s something you could actively try to practice on the 50mm pole as well.
    Regarding the performance I would suggest not worrying about learning too many new tricks, rather polishing the ones you know and working on combinations. I don’t know what the crowd is going to be like but to non pole dancers even very basic tricks already look really impressive, especially if executed well.
    Good luck for your performance! I’m sure you’ll do great.

• Krabbette

August 21, 2016 at 10:13 am

Hi Wennajo!
    I agree with LabCobra, I would focus on the tricks I have and make them beautiful instead of trying to learn all kinds of new stuff.
    Have you watched this?
    https://www.facebook.com/studioveenacom/videos/vb.166223364441/10154123153364442/?type=2&theater
    If not, watch it. It’s a video from Veena about making basics beautiful and you will see how impressive fundamental moves can look if executed with care. Also, practicing this will be excellent for strength building, I tried yesterday and I’m pretty sore now… 🙂
    As you have a history in ballet I’m sure this will sound quite familiar to you. Use your ballet lines and everything you do on the pole will look beautiful.
    As for combinations, there’s lots of potential using the tricks you can already do. Try going from a pole climb into a well executed pole sit, then into basic plank followed by ckr and handstand out, for instance. A wrist sit is always impressive, you can combine it with an advanced plank afterwards… Those are just examples, but I’m sure as you work on polishing your moves you’ll come up with ideas yourself, just see what feels good…
    Considering the switch from 50 to 45mm, I wouldn’t worry too much. I switched from a 50mm to a 40mm last year and everything I could do on the 50mm I could do on the 40mm right away. LabCobra is right, you need to squeeze with your legs a little more and maybe your legs will hurt a bit more, but nothing unbearable. If you can try the 45mm out beforehand, try the advanced plank, I think that could be the most tricky one regarding the change of diameter.
    Good luck to you! If you can, upload some videos of your ideas so we can give you more tips, if you like…

• Wennajo

August 21, 2016 at 11:03 pm

Thank you both 🙂

I will work on some strength and perfecting my existing moves and making them basically beautiful 🙂 I’m going to talk to the organiser about practising on the 45mm in advance of the show I think, and I will upload a video of the short routine I have worked out tomorrow 🙂 I just nailed Gemini so am going to make a few hours tomorrow to practise and add all the moves together, then I can show you if that’s OK? Thanks for being awesome!

• Krabbette

August 22, 2016 at 8:49 am

Gemini! That’s awesome! So you could try going from v invert into gemini, then into inverted crucifix and plank out. This is not super easy but you could try… Looking forward to seeing your video!

• Wennajo

August 23, 2016 at 12:01 am

Hey! So, baby wouldn’t sleep until late tonight so I only spent 45 mins or so practising today. I’m going to stretch now though so that counts too, right? Haha!

Anyway, a super quick video of some ideas that I had will be uploaded shortly. Please excuse my wide eyed look when I hit the bookcase in the living room 😛 Haha! Hopefully once we’ve moved I’ll have some more space 🙂 I focused on stuff that I find easy enough to practise being good at moving in and out of rather than trying to incorporate anything that I’m not confident enough with yet. I really need to do some more stretching and work on flexibility though!!! 🙁

• Krabbette

August 23, 2016 at 7:39 am

Of course! Stretching counts! :)))
    Saw your video, I love it. Moving around and up and down the pole seems to come naturally to you. You will be doing great, just keep practicing on this track.
    If any questions come up during your creating a routine, be them general or specific, feel free to ask… and don’t forget to film your ideas, this helps sooo much!

• Krabbette

August 23, 2016 at 7:54 am

Ah, I just saw you purchased the lessons!
    Have a look at this intermediate routine from Veena: https://www.studioveena.com/lessons/view/52f98a8c-4dc8-448b-9554-50120a9aa0eb
    Lots of ideas in this that you can use, also for transitioning to the floor and back up. Just take out the sexy bits and make them ballet-like, because of your mom… 🙂