StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Hitting collarbone during shoulder mount conditioning

• Hitting collarbone during shoulder mount conditioning

Posted by angeliecat on December 6, 2016 at 10:36 pm

Hello!
    I’ve been doing shoulder mount/general conditioning by laying on the floor with my shoulder/trapezius against the pole and lifting my legs up into the air (like in a yoga plow).
    Each time my hips and legs lift up close to the pole, I can feel the pole pressing into my collarbone. It’s pretty painful…
    My upper back is still on the floor though. Could this be related to back flexibility?

Does anybody have tips/suggestions or know why this is happening?

dancingmaddy replied 7 years, 4 months ago 5 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • angeliecat

December 6, 2016 at 10:37 pm

(btw the photo is a video I found on youtube of Julia Wahl doing the same exercise, my collarbone starts to hit the pole at around where her legs are)

• Cherished

December 7, 2016 at 1:48 am

I don’t have this problem but in her blog Aerial Amy says about this to “Hook your legs lower down– that way your upper body will remain more horizontal, and you won’t roll over your collarbone”

The person she told this to tried it and replied that it worked.

• quancutie23

December 7, 2016 at 2:39 pm

I hit my collarbone all time I’m use to it. But if you just get you legs on the pole fast enough to release your hands it won’t hit the bone some times if I’m taking to long to attach that happens to me. Also I extend my legs with straight legs not bent

• dustbunny

December 8, 2016 at 4:41 am

I have hit my collarbone a few times doing this exercise from the floor as well but i don’t have the same problem when shoulder mounting from higher up ie. kneeling or standing. I find that on the floor i have to place my shoulder a couple inches off the floor and then while pressing into the pole i lower my back the last couple inches. It helps pull the meat of the trapezius up and over the top of your shoulder and gives you a little more protection and room to move before you hit that collarbone. ☺

• dancingmaddy

December 8, 2016 at 5:41 am

Can you bring the pole closer to your neck, where there is more muscle for padding?