StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions How to change battery on Ellie light up shoes?

• How to change battery on Ellie light up shoes?

Posted by JeHanne on February 27, 2011 at 9:54 am

Hi!

Was wondering if anyone with light up Ellie shoes could share how they change their batteries. I was able to pull back the shoe lining and access the battery compartment in the heel. The outer edge of the battery is surrounded with a thin yellow plastic and it looks like there are very small metal brackets on the top side of the battery and between the battery and the light component.

How do you change these batteries? I went to the Ellie website and did not see any instructions. Emailed the company but no reply.

Can anyone that has changed their batteries in this brand please share how the did it? 

Thank you,

JeHanne

tarah replied 12 years, 1 month ago 4 Members · 12 Replies
  • 12 Replies
  • Mary Ellyn

February 27, 2011 at 10:42 am

One of the (problems) things about Ellie shoes is that they are made in various countries and by various factories so not all models of the same shoe is made the same way.

I've had some where there is a tab to the side of the heel you pull up to access the batteries, some where you lift the heel section of the soul and some where you can't access them at all!

My current pair doesn't have any "yellow" brackets though.

First you have to be very careful lifting that battery holder out of the heel so as not to break it or the wires.

Once you lift it completely up you will see that one side of the compartment has an opening but it's a pretty tight fit for the batteries. There are usually two batteries in each shoe. I have to get something thin, like a metal nail file, to push the batteries out the opening.'

Hope that helps.

BTW…these batteries are not cheap…I'd still recommend asking the seller to get you new batteries!

• JeHanne

February 27, 2011 at 12:39 pm

Thank you Empyrean! I will take your advice and follow up with the seller. Disappointed though… wanted shoes that were ready to go right out of the box.

• tarah

February 28, 2011 at 7:13 pm

Hi Jehanne,  I have a pair of Ellie lightups that came with an instruction sheet.  I don't know if yours are the same as what I have, but when the shoes arrive, you have to fully insert the battery into place before they will light up.  That's because during shipping they get tossed around so much that it would waste the battery.  Also, if they need replacing, just bring the battery to any store that sells watches, and they will find the correct match for you.  These batteries are very inexpensive.  My shoes only have one battery in each shoe.  I hope this helps!!

• JeHanne

February 28, 2011 at 9:41 pm

Hi Tarah,

My shoes did not come with an instruction sheet… wish they had. I  bet they got used up in shipment because I have to stomp like a T Rex to get them to light. I looked at the battery housing and it had these tiny little prongs that held the battery against this small cork looking circle… then the light component was on the other side of that. It is extremely confusing… does not look like I can just pop a battery in and out… the battery is small and flat and is held in place by pins that attach it to the light housing.

I got the Ellie light up Brook. I think I am going to exchange them for the Pleaser light ups.

Thank you for the follow up… I wonder why mine had no instructions… sigh. 

I want pretty blinkie shoes!!!

JeHanne

• tarah

February 28, 2011 at 11:47 pm

Hmm…  well I went and found the instructions.  they may be useless if your shoes are made differently, but maybe they are the same.  1.  open the channel (to get into the shoe where the lights are) with a letter opener or similar object.  2.  remove the plastic film from under the battery.  the plastic film between the battery and the circuit board is used to conserve battery life.  3.  make sure the battery is not tilted when you close the channel, try to keep it as parallel as possible. That's it for instructions.  I had to replace the batteries because I did not take them out before shipping them across the country when I moved, and they got used up.  okay… now to go find the shoes…..  well it sounds like they are the same.  If you look at the metal housing, there is a horseshoe shaped opening right where the wires are attached, and you can use a letter opener to push the battery out of the housing, and then just slide/pop the new battery in.  they are regular watch batteries.  I hope it works!  https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_mrgreen.gif

• JeHanne

March 1, 2011 at 8:03 pm

Thank you Tarah!!! I appreciate you writing out the instructions that came with your shoes! That is extremely helpful! Note to self… order extra batteries when ordering blinkie shoes!!! Thanks again! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_biggrin.gif

• tarah

March 1, 2011 at 8:28 pm

Hey JeHann!   let me know if it worked!  I forgot to mention, don't worry about making sure the battery is parallel.  I could never do this, and it didn't seem to matter.  they say it helps the lights not to go off when not in use.  mine used to light up whenever I opened the closet https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_biggrin.gif  sadly last night I couldn't get them to work.  guess I need new batteries too 🙁

• JeHanne

March 1, 2011 at 8:35 pm

Oh no!!! You better get some batteries! I was able to get the plastic yellow cover off and slide the battery out. Now I need to get some new batteries to put back in… seems like I will be able to. I better order extra… I really like light up shoes! Thanks again!!! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_biggrin.gif

• JeHanne

March 8, 2011 at 7:38 pm

I exchanged the Ellie shoes for the Pleaser Kiss light up… I LOVE the Pleasers. They had a pull tab that minimized contact between the battery and the unit. And an extra battery came packed with them… and they came with instructions! I changed the battery on the right shoe and so far so good. 

I am really happy with them. 

https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_flower.gif

• poleclimber

May 25, 2012 at 11:26 am

Just found this thread!  Looking how to change my batteries.  Wish I had researched these shoes instead of falling in love with them upon sight and buying – LOL!

• JeHanne

May 25, 2012 at 11:53 am

Hi Poleclimber. The Ellies that I bought were not made to change the battery so that really was lame. The pleasers that I have bought do allow battery changes. I am not sure which shoes allow  battery changes and it is likely different with each brand/make. I hope the shoes you have do allow a battery change. 

We've all bought on 'wow' factor, so do not beat yourself up over it.

Best of luck to you! 

• tarah

May 25, 2012 at 6:29 pm

poleclimber, i know some ellie's are different from others, but i recently replaced the batteries in mine and they work great.  they just use a regular watch battery (available at most wal marts).  did you try the instructions i posted on march 28?  good luck  🙂