StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Injury from splits on pole

• Injury from splits on pole

Posted by stickyvic on July 19, 2014 at 2:54 am

About 3 months ago I injured myself whist performing the “Russian splits” (as pictured in my profile pic!) .. As I bent forward to touch my head to my knee and stretched away with the top leg I heard an almighty crunch (sorry to be gross but it sounded a bit like a chicken bone being snapped!!) Straight after that I had terrible pain in my left glute and hip area which has since travelled down to my left hamstring. It is painful even just sitting and I have lost all flexibility in my left leg which means I cant do any moves with a kicking out action which is basically most things in pole (even things like shoulder mounts hurt) and as for splits… completely out of the question, which is rather depressing as it took me a year to get my middle splits and I’ve now lost them completely!!!!! Gutted!!!! Anyway I’ve been to a physio and osteopath and had accupunture plus I’ve been doing strengthening exercises daily but nothing is helping! It’s nearly 3 months now and panic is setting in… will it ever get better???? Pole is the one thing in my life which keeps me going when things get rough, which I’m sure is the same for most of you! …. Any suggestions on how I can get back in action would be more appreciated than you know! p.s sorry for long rant!!! x

VanessaM2018 replied 4 years, 9 months ago 22 Members · 66 Replies
  • 66 Replies
  • CatsEyes

July 19, 2014 at 8:46 am

Same thing happened to me while doing a drop split…
    Doctor said I pulled my hamstrings.

It’s been almost 4 months and I can still feel the pain despite all the assential oils (you can use Helichrysum and gaulteria with arnica oil),arnica, diclofenac, nsaids, foam rolling and my visits to the osteopath…

However, I can still do the splits (but i do feel “bad” pain so i don’t do them).

I am soooo desperate so I wait for advise from other girls 🙂
    Sorry I can’t help you much with that but well, you are not alone in this !

• grayeyes

July 19, 2014 at 1:06 pm

I hurt my hamstring (proximal–meaning way up in my glute) exactly five months ago yesterday. It has improved but it is not gone. I hurt mine working on splits at a yoga class. I have seen my doctor twice, have done weeks of physical therapy with lots of strengthening, which I had already been doing a lot of for more than a year due to a knee problem. At therapy they did some ultrasound and some manual massage and a little stretching. I saw my doc for the second time about two weeks ago and he said to try resistance stretching for three to four weeks. He demonstrated a technique similar to the Bob Cooley book being discussed in a different thread (The Genius of Flexibility). The difference is he told me to have my husband help stretch and said it wasn’t something I could do alone. I can’t really wrap my brain around the stretching in the Cooley book because I can’t understand how to do it alone. For instance he tells you to resist maximally with your hamstring while simultaneously stretching the hamstring by pulling with your arms. My hamstring is far stronger than my arms in that awkward position so I just don’t get it. I reserved the Dara Torres DVD at my library but haven’t picked it up yet and I’m hoping that helps explain it better since she used Bob Cooley’s techniques. Doc told me to do the stretches 2-3 times a day but that’s not possible because three days a week I don’t even see my husband so at the most I’ve done it four days a week and usually only once a day. I do think it might be helping but it’s hard to say. Like you ladies, I am very discouraged that this injury is 5 months old!

Sorry so long.

• Phoenix Hunter

July 19, 2014 at 1:17 pm

I had a hamstring tear almost two months ago. mine was very minor but it is taking a while. I suspect it will be atleast another 4 months before I am back to where I was. I had been working almost a year for my splits too. finally got them then tore my hamstring in an oversplit. my tear was very minor, yours sounds like it was much worse. a grade 2 tear can take 6 months to heal. a grade 3, even longer. the muscle is torn and is replaced with scar tissue. the scar tissue is not as strong or flexible. so, when the scar tissue replaces the torn muscle you will not be back at the level you were. you will have to gradually regain the strength and flexibility. it sucks!! if your tear was somewhat severe, then your muscle is still healing. it really depends on the severity of the tear. sometimes the tendon will tear and that slows healing down more so than a muscle tear. Are you able to do any pole stuff pain free? I have just had to really just do only stuff that is pain free, which was very little in the beginning. I even went back to doing only beginner classes at my studio for a while. if it hurts, then you probably shouldn’t be doing it. you probably need more time. physio probably gave you strengthening exercises and that’s good. have they given you any stretches to work on? at some point you will need to start stretching that hamstring. your stretches will be very different than what you are used to. you will have to start very small. also, too much strengthening can fatique that muscle. you will need to rest it and let it rebuild itself between workouts. definitely talk to your physio, that is your key to getting better and time. hamstrings can take 6months to heal, longer if it is more severe. it might help if you knew the severity of your tear and whether tendon was involved. sorry you are going through this, you are not alone.

• Phoenix Hunter

July 19, 2014 at 1:25 pm

and definitely give yourself MORE rest days. and more sleep,no joke. sleep is the great for healing muscle tissue. go to bed on time.

• stickyvic

July 20, 2014 at 1:44 am

Ladies! Firstly thank you so much for your replies, it’s a small comfort to know I’m not the only one frustrated by this injury! I’m struggling with coming to terms with how lengthy this healing process might be, especially hearing that some of you have also been in pain for months and are still not out of the woods!
    @grayeyes the stretching techniques that you’ve mentioned sound really interesting, I’ve not heard of them before and will definitely investigate! I would also have the same problem as you with finding someone to help me stretch, my boyfriend is super busy and as I run my own business too it’s always difficult to find time to fit in relaxation and stretching .. life is just too damn busy sometimes!
    @Phoenix Hunter – that is some really great advice, there are a few things I can still do on the pole but it is soul destroying to have to return to beginners level when I’ve achieved so much and can do so many advanced moves .. it’s killing me!!! Also I do find that I won’t know what hurts until I perform a move and feel the twinge so I’m frightened of over doing it without realising first! … I keep thinking back to when I got the injury and kicking myself! If only I could go back in time and not have done that silly move!!! As for the sleep part? Unfortunately I struggle with my sleep but I know you are right when you say it’s one of the most important parts of the healing process.
    Running my own business means I’m super stressed out and I know this won’t help in recovering.
    I’m off to a new osteopath this week so will keep you posted, although I seem to have spent an absolute fortune on treatments with no real results, pole is breaking my bank balance as well as my body!!!!! .. will never give it up though, despite pleas from my boyfriend, if you have a passion you have to accept the rough with the smooth! The highs will be the ultimate buzz and the lows can be down right nasty, but none of us would have it any other way!
    Thanks so much again for kind words of advice, I wish you all love and healing x

• Crystaljng

July 20, 2014 at 2:29 am

Mine was injured while doing Russian splits. I understand completely how you felt. I don’t want to lie … it took me 10 months to get back to where I was. But I kept dancing through injury didn’t let it stop me. Of course I avoided all the super flexi tricks and more focused on strength tricks.
    It’s just a phase don’t let it stop you ! Xo

• stickyvic

July 20, 2014 at 2:58 pm

@Vertical Oh wow!! 10 months..?! That’s full on!! Thank you so much for your words of advice, I’ve been continuing to dance although extremely limited and am hoping and praying I won’t be out of action for too long! I love that you describe it as “only a phase” I find that somehow really comforting, hope you are fully recovered now? thanks again for kind words x

• Polebull

July 20, 2014 at 3:33 pm

I just pulled my hamstring in Last week doing a box split. I’ve got the ok from my doc to train but not to stretch deeply. He advised the resistance stretching mentioned above. It’s much easier with someone to stretch you.
    If you aren’t doing this already, try consuming anti-inflammatory foods to help speed the healing process i.e. Salmon, walnuts, kale, blueberries, apples etc and stay away from foods rich in Omega-6 oils which cause inflammation. Wishing everyone a pain-free, quick recovery!

• sparrow

July 20, 2014 at 4:19 pm

I have posed this question on here before, and I was SO surprised to see how many of us have pulled hamstrings in the splits. Ugh :/

Me…I have messed up both of mine. Time and therapy have helped, although I don’t have my splits and am trying different stretching methods to see what’s up with that. It is probably the single most frustrating thing for me. One ‘wrong’ move….literally….and you’re talking months of healing and annoyance. So, 3 m. is not that long for a hamstring tear, as has been said for many it’s a good 5-6 months. I know, sucks.

• Crystaljng

July 20, 2014 at 4:23 pm

@stickyvic Yes I am fully recovered now. It was devastating because I was not even able to touch my toes. I have done everything I could think of and prayed for recovery
    when it just happened. But the reality is I need to pay my debt for not looking after my body. Only about two months back that I notice I can really train my hamstring flexibility again. Because I danced through injury and continued moderate flexibility training, once I resumed full on training, I was able to improve on my flexibility quite quickly within 2 months. Now I am fully recovered (12 months already). I have learnt my lesson and treat my body with so much respect and care!

• Phoenix Hunter

July 20, 2014 at 4:27 pm

yep, it was weird how easy it happened for me. I felt no strain, didn’t feel like I was over doing it or anything. so irritating. I do wish I could just go back in time and not go those extra few centimeters in my split! it is weird how common this is. I am surprised too at how many of us have had this happen.

• Skullpixie

July 20, 2014 at 5:02 pm

Mine took 3 months to heal. It was a hamstring injury from going that extra bit further :/ I know it sucks but you will get there again. I continued stretching my other leg and now it’s the better one lol!

• CatsEyes

July 21, 2014 at 3:06 am

Wow !
    I didn’t know about anti-inflammatory food, thank you Polebull ! 🙂
    I have tried resistance strech (I found the complete Dara Torres method on YT there : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zO4YGRXiiQ )

But I’ve found it quite painful so I stopped because I was afraid doing more bad than good to my leg but I’ll give it a go again now that i feel a bit better.

• Lina Spiralyne

July 21, 2014 at 4:41 am

One question for those of you who have had these injuries: Did you notice it at the time that it happened or did you not realize it until later (for example next day or hours later)?

• CatsEyes

July 21, 2014 at 4:58 am

Lina, I noticed it right after my drop split, like a very sudden pain.
    I felt something was wrong in my glute / upper Hamstring so I stopped training immediately and put some ice on the back of my thigh and elevated my leg.
    The night I got injured, I even felt the pain in my calf and the day after I had trouble walking.
    I was able to walk normally after 3 days and to climb up or down stairs with no pain after a week or so.

Page 1 of 5