StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Overcoming the fear of being upside down

• Overcoming the fear of being upside down

Posted by LatinPoler on July 14, 2016 at 7:14 pm

Hi,

I’m struggling with being upside down on the pole. It took me a while to nail the inverted crucifix/bat, I can even do the caterpillar, but I still kind of panic sometimes, even if I know I can do these moves. Now I’m learning the butterfly and that’s worse, because of the grip and the leg release… I don’t feel safe.

I can invert and tricks like the helicopter or the leg hangs are fine, CAR/CKA are fine too, but being “in a straight line” upside down freaks me out. Also on the floor, I don’t like elbowstands and handstands either.

Any tips to overcome this?

LatinPoler replied 7 years, 8 months ago 11 Members · 24 Replies
  • 24 Replies
  • hannimator

July 15, 2016 at 1:24 pm

Hey! I have a similar issue with climbing – an intense fear of heights! Though for some reason hanging upside down from a pole by one leg doesn’t bother me… I would say in my experience with the fear in climbing is to learn how to fall proper, and learn how to recognise that you are slipping/falling so you can get yourself in to a good position. I still freak out when doing elbowstands and handstands, I think again with those it’s learning how to come out of them properly when you start to fall. I think a lot of the fear as well comes with a lack of confidence in your own strength – and this just takes time. As you keep practicing and doing the moves, slowly you will realise that you *are* strong enough and you can hold yourself up in position.

Fear of heights and being upside down are completely natural fears to have, and they can take a while to overcome! I’ve been climbing 6 months (and I used to do it as a kid) and I can only just get myself to the top of the wall without having severe panics and feeling like I’m going to die.

• LatinPoler

July 15, 2016 at 2:18 pm

Thank you! Yes, you are right, I was able to do bat when I did it several time in a row very low, with my hands reaching the floor, so I had a quick exit. That allowed me to gain confidence and trust myself 🙂 But then, I had a bad/weak day, didn’t feel very well in bat and the fear came back. I will keep at it.

• hannimator

July 15, 2016 at 2:32 pm

🙂 It’s hard work getting over fears! If you can practice “falling” (I’ve had plenty, I’m really clumsy/uncoordinated and often just end up sliding down the pole accidentally) it might help. For me knowing that I can exit quickly when something goes wrong has really really helped me! Keep me updated on how you get along and if you discover anything else that helps 🙂

• Phoenix Hunter

July 15, 2016 at 4:09 pm

How do you practice falling safely? I’ve seen others suggest this but I just don’t see a way to do that with pole. I know I probably sound stupid but do you just get in a butterfly and fall? There’s no way I would choose to do that even with a mat. I don’t know how that would be helpful. Again, I’m not arguing with anyone – I just don’t see how practicing falling is a reasonable option

• mystical

July 15, 2016 at 4:44 pm

I agree with phoenix on this one, if you fall there really isn’t a good exit strategy, that’s why when you practice a move stay low to the floor and once you know you can do it go higher up the pole. Do you have a crash mat? If you do that might help with the fear of being upside down.

• hannimator

July 15, 2016 at 5:42 pm

Sorry I should have explained! Basically if I feel really unsteady or like I’m about to slip I hug the pole – sort of wrap myself right around? So from butterfly I can quickly swing my leg around it and squeeze. And I tuck my head in so if I slip I land on shoulders rather than head/face. It could be different for everyone it’s just the way I’ve gotten comfortable and it works with climbing too, for me. Obviously the more you practice the longer you can hold a move and feel comfortable for, and I’ve found that knowing I can make a quick exit if I need to helps a lot. Stay close to the ground to begin with, and safety matts are important imo (we have them when bouldering too).

• LatinPoler

July 15, 2016 at 9:14 pm

I don’t have a mat at home, but we do have at the studio, that’s where I learn and try new stuff first. But when the teacher is spotting, we don’t use the mat. I guess she is the mat. And in any case, she doesn’t offer the mat very often, at least not to me. I know I look strong and I may be, but not for pole, that requires a different type of strength. In fact, I’ve discovered with pole that my upper back and shoulders are pretty weak, I’m doing conditioning to fix this. The “scape” plan sounds good, I think I am going to rehearse the wrapping move. Thanks ladies!

• Skullpixie

July 15, 2016 at 10:18 pm

I think for me the only way to get over the fear of any trick is to do it over and over so you become familiar with all aspects of the move, all upside down moves are pretty scary until you know the move inside out, once you do you will feel more comfortable doing that particular trick even if it’s just a basic invert. Hope that makes sense xx

• Suzanna

July 15, 2016 at 10:21 pm

LatinPoler, I don’t have an answer for you, but I am following the discussion, as I feel like you do. I look super strong, and I am strong in a non-pole ways. When I invert, I feel like I don’t have enough strength to squeeze the pole for long enough to release my hands for crucifix or caterpillar on anything. Even when I slowly slide into a handstand, I feel unstable in my shoulder.

I am thinking that by developing the basic “pole strength” (strong hands/grip, strong leg squeeze, and shoulder) I suspect that I will become more confident in my strength and thus feeling safer inverted and having less fears. My plan is to work on handstands (I am working on headstands now, I cannot even do the elbow stand with my head off the ground) for the shoulder/stability strength and the leg squeeze strength. Hoping this will make me more comfortable in my future inverted moves.

• Veena

Administrator
    July 15, 2016 at 11:05 pm

Here’s a periscope I did in October about fears https://www.studioveena.com/videos/view/5632ba12-6de8-430c-bc75-1e2eac11006c

• Skullpixie

July 15, 2016 at 11:57 pm

Wow that periscope was just what I needed to listen to thanks for that veena and thank god you didn’t quit your an inspiration and fantastic poler, your tutorials are so detailed it makes it easy to learn. I def will take note on being more positive and not get down on my self so much for being slow to progress at pole. I just love pole.

• Rachel Osborne

July 16, 2016 at 1:43 am

I apparently do not care about whizzing about upside down on fast spin in any kind of leg/heel/hip/thigh hold – but I HATE caterpillar and inverted crucifix and bat and any kind of nose to pole invert relying on handstand power and holding between my knees. Even basic invert I hate; never feel secure catching pole between knees and ankles.

I decided that as I pole for own joy – to enjoy flying and dancing – I was not going to beat myself up about the fact that I can’t, and do not actually want – to do Ayesha, handspring and all those handstandy moves, especially as I don’t agree with twisted grip generally and it’s particularly dangerous for my hypermobile shoulders.

I do make an effort to train headstands on and off pole and pole handstands but there is enough scary stuff in pole already that I want to conquer more. I dance around my fears, and when I feel especially badass or strong, I do a little extra dance towards my fear, come a little closer to the nemesis, try a little harder…and slowly it comes to me. But there is no rush. Maybe one day I will do cup grip phoenix. Meanwhile…I’m perfecting this…trying that…training these…and I feel happy and safe and without realizing it, I’m doing the drills and building the skills that I need to smash the demons – when I’m ready, body and soul, to do so.

Courage! It’s your dance! Don’t rush! Enjoy where you are and fly without fear and guilt and stress! The pole, and the pole community is there for you to dance with.

• LatinPoler

July 17, 2016 at 5:07 pm

Thank you ladies, you are the best! Veena, yes, I remember watching that Periscope and it did make a lot of sense to me, I will watch it again to get all the nuances.

I agree, practice makes perfect and allows you to gain confidence. Yesterday I practiced bat on my bad side and felt it slightly better.

Tropical, you are absolutely right! My approach is exactly like yours. I try to focus on what I like and can do and frankly, I am more into flow and dancing than into aerial tricks. But in addition to my home pole lessons with Veena, I take lessons at a studio and the studio has a syllabus. So you are supposed to do some tricks if you want to keep progressing. And I agree that things like bat are basic, building blocks, so you need to learn them. Maybe Ayesa is not that basic, I don’t know, I am not at that level yet.

I like learning at my own pace and I am very perfectionist. I don’t like to keep adding until I can do a move with good technique and looking pretty. But this doesn’t seem to be the trend for most of the other students, they like to learn fast and keep progressing, even though their tricks don’t look as good, as long as they can do them. Each pole journey is different, indeed.

Here’s my plan for the next few days: I will practice handtands/elbowstands, caterpillars and Veena’s basic butterfly at home, at my own pace, so maybe towards the end of the week I can go back to my studio ready to try the split grip butterfly.

I could quit the studio, but I don’t feel safe learning challenging or inverted moves alone, I feel better with a spotter. Then I use Veena’s lesson to perfect the move and practice at home at my own pace.

• LatinPoler

July 19, 2016 at 7:20 pm

Basic butterfly happened!!! After watching Veena’s video I told myself: you are hugging the pole, you have enough grip and are not relying on shoulders and wrists only. I dared to release the leg and TADAAA!! I felt pretty stable. I had been working on bats, caterpillars and reverse handstands as preparation. I felt pretty accomplished (and brave) by doing this ☺️☺️

• Veena

Administrator
    July 19, 2016 at 9:08 pm

I’m so happy for you!!!!!! 🎉

Page 1 of 2