StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions do your kids know you pole?

• do your kids know you pole?

Posted by minicoopergrl on January 11, 2010 at 5:58 pm

I get asked this every now and then. I dont have a pole at home (stupid MINI transmission), but I do go to the studio and play. As of right now they know Mommy goes and works out. They dont know what kind of work out I do, they dont even know im ‘famous’ on youtube. My oldest has tried to wear my shoes but I tell her no.

My question is when do you tell the kids you pole? Mine are 5 and barely 1, so its not that high up in the questioning department but my oldest is in school.

tiggertail replied 7 years, 4 months ago 37 Members · 44 Replies
  • 44 Replies
  • untamedshrew

January 11, 2010 at 6:21 pm

there’s been a similar thread, try searching under "just for moms and dads".
    My kids knew when they saw my husband installing the pole. I was a little uncomfortable at first, until I remembered kids are naturally accepting and nonjudgmental. They are taught to have hang ups. The 11 year olds easily accepted mom’s dance pole and even play on it. It’s exercise and fun time with them; I save the heels, floor work and sexiness for private play. My 16 year old knew what a stripper was, so he took a little more educating; I showed him "classy" pole videos and do my best to show him the athleticism in poling. He’s still a little uneasy with the idea, (ewwww- mom’s are NOT sexual) but he’s taken his friends in to see it- so now I’m possibly the coolest mom in our conservative town. I think it’s important that you teach your kids what to think of the pole, or they’ll end up buying into the steretypes out there.

• chemgoddess1

January 11, 2010 at 7:18 pm

I have had my 4 year old niece play on my pole as well as my now 14 and 16 year old step sons.

I agree with keeping the super sexy limited but I see no reason for kids to grow up not thinking anything major of having a pole in the house.

• RoxyPink

January 11, 2010 at 9:44 pm

My kids love playing on mine and I actually encourage it because it is so physically demanding…of course they are only 2 and 6….but I do have a step-daughter who is 16 and when she was living with us she would "practice" with me and I would teach her spins and such…now of course I didn’t do the traditional "sexy" dancing but I never tried to hide it. We believe that we should be very open about sexuality in our household…that is not saying that my kids are exposed to things they shouldn’t be…but we don’t hide it either! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_biggrin.gif

• SissyBuns

January 11, 2010 at 10:31 pm

My kids are 13 (daughter) 7 (daughter) and 6 (son) and they all know I pole. I was addicted to pole videos on youtube and here before I got my pole so they saw me watching women do some amazing stuff on the pole before they ever saw my feeble attempts. So they knew what I was shooting for. I pole in front of them all the time. I don’t do too much sexy stuff in their presence but if they walk in when I’m in the middle of a hip roll, they say "Ewww!!!!" Then go running out to pretend they are barfing in the hall. We joke about it a lot and it’s never been a big deal with them. My 2 little ones are pole masters them selves and my 13 year old thought it was cute until she gave it a try and saw how hard it was…she’s not one to work up a sweat. LOL She can do a decent fireman tho https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_wink.gif

• Jenn PoleLush

January 12, 2010 at 7:06 am

I’ve been struggling with this as well. I, too, believe kids are naturally excepting and haven’t yet associated the "stripper pole" -hate that term- with sex, strippers etc. My son is 8 and he thinks it is the sh*t that his mom has a ‘fireman pole’ as he calls it, int he house! My daughter is almost three and she does her little spins and such, very cute btw.. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_biggrin.gif
    I just don’t want my son bringing it up at school and saying anything..but I don’t know how to say that to him so I am just leaving it alone for now. My husband seems to think my son will grow up cool with it and then the day he goes to a strip club he will have horrid flashbacks! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_eek.gif

Jenn

• PoleTickles

January 12, 2010 at 1:23 pm

Santa brought me my pole last year and its up in the kitchen so cant hide it https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_smile.gif I have a 5 year old son who thinks its perfectly normal for a pole to dance on to be in the kitchen. Its only when his friends come round who dont live near and ask questions like is your Daddy a fireman that he gets confused. But he explains no its for mammy to dance on and she can do cool flips (he is a break dancing fan so thats very cool to him) https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_biggrin.gif I hope that because he is growing up with it he will never have a problem with it. I think telling your kids the truth is the best way to go about it usually. (though appreciate theres a big diference between a small child and a teenager…)

Rach.

• SissyBuns

January 12, 2010 at 4:19 pm

I think that if we as the parents are the ones to exose them to it and they see first hand what "we" do on it there won’t be much for them to be uncomforatble about. My 13 year old knows full well what strippers are (thanks public school) and she knows full well that nither myself or any of my dozens of pole friends that she’s met are strippers. She’s sees what we do and she knows the difference.

• kcfl5

January 18, 2010 at 5:32 pm

I have a 10 year girl. She asked what that pole was in my bedroom. I just got it right before Christmas 09. I told her it is my exercise pole. She asked if she could try. I didn’t even show her anything and she climed right up it. Now for me a beginner I couldn’t even climb it. Then she came down…I had to help her. Then she starts to swing around and says to me look you can swing on it too.

My 2 teenage boys don’t know it is in my bedroom. If they do then they haven’t said anything. I am also taking classes I just tell them I am going to the gym or exercise class.

Now what I wonder is what my parents or in laws think if they happened to see it.

• Trena

January 19, 2010 at 12:23 am

My son is 5 and has known about me poling since he was 4 because I have a pole in my house. He has even watched pole dancing videos with me on youtube and thinks its cool. I think its best to be honest with your kids so that they dont think there’s something to hide about pole dancing! I dont do sexy dances around him but he has seen me work out on the pole. He loves playing on my pole too! Especially when I put it on spinny mode! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_biggrin.gif

• DeaconJungleCatPoles

January 27, 2010 at 10:03 pm

Simply put: they way you treat pole dancing is the way your kids will learn to treat pole dancing. If you hide it and sneak around like it’s dirty then that’s what they will grow up to believe. Everyone brings their kids over to play on my pole. They don’t dance on it dirty or sexy. They don’t even know how to think of it as that. Only adult minds make those kinds of associations. They just see it as an indoor playground. And everytime my neices and nephews come over, I teach them tricks.

Check this video out of us from last summer! It’s a riot!! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_lol.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ul3BoawK04

https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_cat.gif

• Sapphirecatzeye

January 28, 2010 at 1:54 am
  • Trena

January 29, 2010 at 12:45 pm

Simply put: they way you treat pole dancing is the way your kids will learn to treat pole dancing. If you hide it and sneak around like it’s dirty then that’s what they will grow up to believe. Everyone brings their kids over to play on my pole. They don’t dance on it dirty or sexy. They don’t even know how to think of it as that. Only adult minds make those kinds of associations. They just see it as an indoor playground. And everytime my neices and nephews come over, I teach them tricks.

OMG SOOOO true! Well said J.C!

• hookedonpole

May 26, 2010 at 5:03 am

The funny thing is I’m probably older than most here and my son is 25! He has lived away from home for seven years now. My husband encouraged me to tell him what my "new workout" is. When I did he responded,"Mom I will never be able to look at you the same!" When he has visited I’ve asked him if he would like to see anything I do, which quick response was NO! haha I showed him a basic spin or two, but that’s as far as he’ll see his mom do. He knows I do it for fitness, however, he IS 25. The clincher is for Christmas this past December, he gave me an Intermediate Pole DVD which was a perfect gift!!! It was so funny. We have a good laugh about it.

• heathalynne

November 21, 2010 at 8:38 pm

The funny thing is I’m probably older than most here and my son is 25! He has lived away from home for seven years now. My husband encouraged me to tell him what my "new workout" is. When I did he responded,"Mom I will never be able to look at you the same!" When he has visited I’ve asked him if he would like to see anything I do, which quick response was NO! haha I showed him a basic spin or two, but that’s as far as he’ll see his mom do. He knows I do it for fitness, however, he IS 25. The clincher is for Christmas this past December, he gave me an Intermediate Pole DVD which was a perfect gift!!! It was so funny. We have a good laugh about it.

That is hilarious! My little brother is around the same age and is disgusted whenever he sees pics in facebook. He didn’t even want to look at my recent non-pole related photoshoot! Lol

Back to OP, my 7 (soon to be 8 ) year old daughter knows and encourages it. She’s been doing spins and climbing on my pole since she was 4. I never dance in front of her, but she does see me do a trick or 2. She likes looking at vids and pics with me.. Mine and others. My favorite is, "Ooh! Can you do that mommy?" She also knows not to talk about it in school.

• MissChiefNYC

November 21, 2010 at 11:06 pm

The pole in in the living room area, and my little one is constantly playing on it. Shes 5. My 13 year old doesn’t pay much mind to it. I tend not to dance when the y are around though, because the little one constantly get s in my way! I’m not embarrassed, they’re not embarrassed.

Page 1 of 3